Cousin twice removed?

What does that mean, lol? I know I sound like an idiot but I always hear people talking about how they're related to someone and they're 2nd cousins twice removed. Just curious!!

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 11:46 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you have the same parents = siblings (which we all know), same grandparents in common = cousins, great grandparents in common you are second cousins. The child of your cousin is your cousin of that degree (because there is a one generation difference) once removed. The grand child of your cousin is your cousin twice removed because now the generation difference is two). The number of generations give you the number removed . So I have a cousin who has children my age. Her children are my cousins but once removed. My grandmother is their great-grandmother...I fit into the generation before theirs and that's what separates us, that's why the relation is once removed. (Just count the generations) But remember you have to have the same common grand parents.

MRSnMOTHER

Answer by MRSnMOTHER at 2:55 AM on May. 20, 2009

• http://genealogy.suite101.com/article.cfm/cousins_once_removed
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 11:49 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Holy crap that was confusing, HAHAHA!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:56 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Great question...I've always wondered too. *marches off to check pp's link out*
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 11:56 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I love my mommy, daddy, and my sisters and there kids and my kids (screw there fathers)- after that its to hard to keep up with and I dont like them anyway!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 12:10 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Thank you PP! That made more sense! I've had it all wrong all these years. I always thought my cousin's kids were my 2nd cousins.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:56 AM on May. 20, 2009