epidural related question..

is it true when you get an epidural you also get a catheder (or however you spell it)...I plan to get one either way. My SO's sister told me that you do and I want to make sure shes not just trying to scare me cuz shes kinda a biatch like that...

hug4akiss

Asked by hug4akiss at 11:46 PM on May. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yeah, but you don't feel it, i didn't anyway.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 11:48 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Yes and it's nothing at all to worry about, seriously. It's best that way.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:48 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I've had 3 epidurals (even tho 2 didn't work). I only needed the catheter with the first one. She just stuck it in and drained my pee and took it right back out. It didn't have to stay in. The other 2 times I went the whole time without one.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:48 PM on May. 19, 2009

• yes, you cant get up after you have it, becasuse it paraslises SP you so you need one or else you will pee the bed
    Anonymous

• did you need it? Like did you go in it?
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 11:49 PM on May. 19, 2009

• oh I guess you answered my question before I asked it...lol
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 11:50 PM on May. 19, 2009

• generally how long does an epidural last?
    hug4akiss

• Not long enough, lol!!!

Few hours.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:52 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Yep, it's true!

My epidural lastest a long long time though, thankfully. I think it finally wore off a couple hours after I gave birth.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 12:02 AM on May. 20, 2009

• yes you get a cathider because if you dont, you might feel the need to pee (I did) but you cant move so you would have to pee all over yourself. Dont know why you would think she is trying to scare you because they do it after you are numb and take it out before you are un-numb so there is nothing to be afraid of... you dont feel it! As for the epi.. it will last as long as you need it, even if it is like for 24 hours. They can either administer more of the medication into the epi or you will have a self administered pump
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:27 AM on May. 20, 2009