What have you taught your children lately?

Different parents teach their children different things. We teach them empathy, compassion, and love. How to ride bikes, share toys, eat with forks, and use a potty.

But we also teach them other things, and I was wondering how many things we can list that we teach our kids.

ms_mommy_sue

Asked by ms_mommy_sue at 11:50 PM on May. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm teaching my two year old son my and my husband's real names.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:51 PM on May. 19, 2009

• i taught my dd (shes a year old) not to put mommy's car keys in her mouth. lol
    Anonymous

• Lately, I taught them to shake hands and look someone in the eyes when they are talking to them.
    Otherwise, not to bitch about eating asparagus because kids are starving all over the world.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:52 PM on May. 19, 2009

• Hell Im teaching my child something everyday...especially Destiny. She wants to be like mommy and know everything I know. But one thing is manners, respect and how to be a lady. Im glad she doesn't see how I act on here...lol. Lil j ...{{sigh}}
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:53 PM on May. 19, 2009

• I'm teaching my 2 yr old how to count objects. Not recite numbers but actually count. Then again I'm teaching my 1 yr old not to poop in the tub. :-)
    Mommy2Bears

Answer by Mommy2Bears at 11:54 PM on May. 19, 2009

• that im MOMMY and not daddy...lol. my son is 2 and calls me daddy (dh is deployed, he's been doing it since he left), and my dd is 9 months, and i'm trying to get her to say mama lol. no such luck, with either of them. i've also tried to teach him how to say i love you. i get "love you", but i have to pry it out of him lol. other than that, colors, numbers, letters, shapes. with the exception as "three" being "tree" and "circle" being "kirkle", he's doing pretty good. lmao
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:57 PM on May. 19, 2009

• oh and potty training. ugh, i hate this process
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:58 PM on May. 19, 2009

• logic is another thing I am trying to teach them.. yeah for a 7 yr old and 5 yr old autistic.. not going too great, but they are beginning to get it.
    I also tried to teach them the electric slide, didnt go so well
    ms_mommy_sue

Answer by ms_mommy_sue at 12:00 AM on May. 20, 2009

• The question is "what am I NOT teaching them?" As a homeschooling sahm, I am responsible for my children's education.. mind, body, and soul. So that includes school subjects, as well as morals, ethics, values, manners, RESPECT for others, kindness, sympathy, empathy, how to have fun, how to love, how to live.... the list goes on!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 12:14 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I'm teaching them that the world isn't a horrible scary place with someone waiting to snatch them at every corner. Went to the store today with my 7yo, 6yo and 3yo and my 7yo rode his bike ahead, around the corner and out of sight...oh noes!
    Then he waited outside the store with his bike with instructions to scream as loud as he could, kick, hit, bite, pinch, scratch, etc if someone tried to grab him. Amazingly nothing happened and we left the store a few minutes later.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:25 AM on May. 20, 2009