• In the Spotlight:

My son seems to have this cough and its not that dry......I have given him Dimetapp cough syrup but it doesnt seem to be working! I dont want to give him alot of medication so I prefer home remedies....Can anyone please help me!

My son does not have any fever nor runs....he seems fine besides the cough and it seems to be frequent after he goes to sleep! He is only one and doesnt spit when he coughs but just swallows......I have tried rubbing vapour rub on the soles of his feet but it doesnt seem to work!
He is also eating fine!

JaneMichelle

Asked by JaneMichelle at 12:08 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Try to give him a teaspoon of honey.That helps with a cough.
    Tia23sb

Answer by Tia23sb at 9:28 AM on May. 21, 2009

• The Vapor Rub isn't going to help and isn't recommended for young children anyway.
    Try a humidifier.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:09 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My son used to get a cough with every viral illness that seemed to last forever. We found out it was virus induced asthma. I treated him homeopathically and he was fine. I wouold get him diagnosed because asthma can be different for young children then what you expect.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:52 AM on May. 20, 2009

• ya i have asthma and so does my granddaughter..its a very messy cough.i would take him to the drs.it may even be bronchitis.but usually its a dry cough so because of the fact that it is producing is a good thing.but asthma isnt a fun thing.is he wheezing?you can here gurggles in his chest?i think i would take him to the drs just to make sure...
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 1:53 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Thank you all sooo much!
    JaneMichelle

Answer by JaneMichelle at 12:22 AM on May. 21, 2009

• In general, cough syrups don't work. Honey (antbacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti inflammatory) make a soothing cough syrup.
    It could be an allergy; try eliminating dairy (this is a common sympton) for a few days.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:13 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Try the dark honey and if it still happens take your child to doctor. It coould be seasonal allergies or asthma.
    mom9502

Answer by mom9502 at 4:30 PM on May. 23, 2009