why is my 20 mo old son suddenly terrified of baths??

I cannot understand this. He use to LOVE taking baths, now whenever I attempt to put him in, he clings to me like I'm putting him in a vat of lava or something, and SCREAMS like he's being killed. I cannot get him to sit down, it's hard as heck to soap him up since he's clinging to me like a vine, screaming all the while... someone help? I can't have this...

mamajody0507

Asked by mamajody0507 at 12:37 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take a bath with him. I bet it will help him.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:12 AM on May. 20, 2009

• It happens to EVERYONE, my DD is 19 months old, and I'm going through the same thing. My DD1 also went through this. I have no idea why! I just try to get through it as fast as possible. She has a cute rubber ducky toddler tub, and I guess the novelty's worn off. She loves to go outside and get wet, but baths are a different story! I might have to hose her off outside.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 1:04 AM on May. 20, 2009

• my 23 month old daughter has been going through this too. her dr. said its because a bath at this age, the child thinks its taking to much time out of their day. which it really dont. but since they really dont understand time they dont know how long its really taking. i dont know its really weird
    a_sams

Answer by a_sams at 1:19 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Maybe he had a bad dream that hes having a hard time forgetting about the bath. Or someone ele gave him one (not sure if you even let anyone) but they could have got the water too hot or something. Or he could he have choked and it made him afraid. my daughter is 22mo. but i dont see her being scared anytime soon. She loves ANYTHING to do with gettin wet. Even if its just pouring her juice out on the table and splashing her hands in it.
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 2:57 AM on May. 20, 2009

• DD loves Water, and has never feared bath time and i dont see it happening anytime soon... BUT if it did.. i would take a bath with him or her.. a couple times and just try to make it enjoyable as possible....
    kc_penney

Answer by kc_penney at 5:32 AM on May. 20, 2009

• It could be because he's suddenly realizing that the water goes away!! But...where does it go? And, oh my, can he go down the drain TOO???? He's learning about what things do but he doesn't have the understanding of "I'm too big to go down the drain, too." Children at this age are starting to realize - the world's BIG and I'm LITTLE. The water disappears, if I'm in the bath, will I disappear too?? If that's the case, you might try filling the water up, putting in some toys, and letting the water drain out, showing that the toys don't disappear.

Or, like a PP said, maybe a bad dream, or maybe something surprised him in a previous bath and he's not sure if the wants to experience the same surprise (like maybe water in the eyes?).

If showing that the toys wont' disappear doesn't work, you may want to consider some sponge baths or try showering for a while. Good luck!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:02 AM on May. 20, 2009

• get in with him
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 9:41 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My daughter was the same way. It actually took us to have another baby for her to finally want to take a bath.
    juggalette_mom

Answer by juggalette_mom at 10:15 AM on May. 20, 2009

• This also happened to my son around Mid-March. He is just now getting back to normal. Getting in with him was no help, visors didnt work, goggles didnt work, toys didnt work, no toys didnt work, bubbles didnt work. It was a mess! We took my son to the park and they had the fountains he could play in. He went right to it! I was amazed!! So, last week my husband bathed him and just left the water running out of the faucet and not much water in the bath. It seems to be working for us. He does still cry to get out when I go in the bathroom, so for now, it is daddy's job. good luck! I promise it wont last forever!!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:55 PM on May. 20, 2009