• In the Spotlight:

How can I help my son with bedwetting????

My son is now 4yrs old, and he wets the bed. We have tried everything from, cutting drinking off 2 and a half hours before bed, going to potty before bed, and I am worried. His pediatrician says that I should not worry about it until he is at least 5 or 6yrs old. But, he will be 5 in August. He still wears the pull ups because, he was getting up 2 times during the night to change jammies, and it broke my heart to see him having to do that. Please someone help me in what I should do. He is a great kid, and I want to do what is right by him!!! Thanks

USMCWifey0808

Asked by USMCWifey0808 at 1:07 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think you just have to wait it out. His body isn't capable of holding his urine through the night, nothing you do will change that. My brother wet the bed until he was in elementary school. There are alarms you can buy that will go off when moisture hits, they go on top of the mattress pad. I don't think those really help train the child to hold it all night, but they can prevent a total flood.
    pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 1:59 AM on May. 20, 2009

• put him in pullups at night. Some kids are not developed enough to stay dry at night until they are much older. Punishing him or trying to force him is only going to make the problem worse.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:24 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My son is also 4 he does the same thing so I guess it is normal. He potty trained during the day at age 2 1/2. He gets upset when he wakes up wet but I have told him there isn't anything he can do. We tried cutting the liquids before bed and also if my husband or I wake up in the night waking him to take him. That helped but then he is cranky during the day. I think you should give it sometime. He won't be 20 and still wetting. Hope this helps
    Jesmomof3

Answer by Jesmomof3 at 8:46 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I wet the bed until I was 6 I think, some kids just have this problem, their bladders aren't developed enough to go through the night that is why they make goodnights in bigger sizes. Keep putting him in them and explain that if he wakes up and needs to go or is wet he should go try to use the bathroom and change his pull up.He should grow out of it, if it continues for another year then I would check into seeing a specialist, but give him another year. Make sure you let him know you understand it isn't his fault and that your not angry with him, this help him have more self esteem. Good luck and try not to worry.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 8:47 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My son is 4 and not nighttime potty trained - he's a heavy sleeper and doesn't wake up when his pee does. I don't think you should worry about it, like your pediatrician and all the previous posters said - it's fairly normal for his age. Just wait it out and don't make him think there's anything wrong, because there's not. Just keep the pull-ups on and when he starts waking up with them dry consistently, then he can go on to big boy underwear at nighttime, too.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:56 AM on May. 20, 2009

• It's normal. Your doctor is right - it's not consider a possible problem until after age 6.
    What can you do?
    As you've discovered, cutting off fluids doesn't help.
    Keep him in pullups (or Good Nights) at night until he is waking up dry most days of the week.
    Make sure he knows this is common, that he is not alone, slow, backwards, or defective. Trust me, I know how easy it is for a child to feel that way... he can sense your frustration and knows he is the cause.
    Accept that no company, anywhere in the world, will make a product just for YOU. They are making them because thousands and thousands of parents are in the same boat.
    Try a bedwetting alarm. They have the highest success rate of retraining a child's sleeping brain to hear and do something about that "I've got to go" feeling.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:48 AM on May. 20, 2009

• And no, the alarms don't train the child to hold it all night. They train the brain to wake the child up so he can get to the bathroom.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:51 AM on May. 20, 2009

• This is really quite common for boys of his age. It takes longer for the boys bladders to develop the ability to "hold" overnight, and some children at that age just don't get the message from the brain that they have to pee. It takes time for that to develop. Some kids are just heavy sleepers and don't wake up. Many boys have this problem up to 8 years old or longer.

Don't put pressure on him and don't talk about this in front of him. He needs your support and love. This is just as upsetting for him as it is for you. Honestly, if the doctor is telling you not to worry yet, listen to him.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sleep/enuresis.html

DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:20 PM on May. 20, 2009