• In the Spotlight:

i just found out that i have low iron and gestational diabetes does anyone have any good foor ideas that will be ok for both????

gbrandygreen

Asked by gbrandygreen at 2:02 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had gestational diabetes and had a nutritionist that gave out specific guidelines and a diet to follow. Watching your carbs is key! It was hard for me, but I followed it and only gained 20lbs the entire pregnancy and my daughter was born healthy as can be, 5 days early, and was only 6lbs 4oz.

For low iron...Eat at least three servings of iron-rich foods per day to ensure you are getting approx. 30 mg. of iron daily. Sources (ex. enriched grain products (rice); lean meat, poultry and fish; eggs and leafy green vegetables.) GL!
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 2:32 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Red meat, spinach, get a good prenatel vitamin that has iron in it. You should have some sort of consultation with a nutritionist. They will tell you what to eat and what to avoid. This is what I had to do: Breakfast, no more then 30 total carbohydrates, snack after 2-3 hours no more then 15 total carbohydrates, lunch no more then 45 total carbohydrates, snack after 2-3 hours, dinner no more then 45 total carbohydrates and then a snack before bed no more then 15 total carbohydrates.
    Eat as much meat, cheese and protein as you like. Eat as many veggies as you like but be careful with corn, peas and beans....they have carbohydrates. No sugar, subsitute with splenda or artificial sweetner. If you have any questions, let me know!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:36 AM on May. 20, 2009

• dark green leafy veggies
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 3:46 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Floridex for the low iron. You can buy it on Amazon or your local health food store...

And a link for the "gestational diabetes" http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/997295/Gestational_Diabetes
    Caramelturtle

Answer by Caramelturtle at 10:32 AM on May. 20, 2009