Do u teach your children to be humble people and thankful for what they receive?

I have 2 boys and im always teaching them to be thankful for everything they get.. For ex if they're hoping for a specific gift for their bday and they get something else not to get mad but to be thankful for it. And I do this bc I have seen my nieces be rude when they get a gift they don't like, and as a parent I feel embarrased for my sister!
How do u feel about this kids that behave this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Once I gave my nieces a highschool musical movie for christmas because we were short on cash, and she didn't like it and made a face and just dropped it on the floor.. I was so heartbroken..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I totally agree with you!! My dd is only 2 1/2 but even now I am teaching her what I can. I think it's going to be a little difficult for me because my dh got everything he wanted and his mother DID NOT teach him how to be humble. It's a little frustrating at times but he's growing.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:07 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I have taught my children to give thanks to God for everything good --from running water to food, a roof over their heads, and ESPECIALLY fellowship with our family when we all get together for dinners. Yes it starts when they are little. It is in scriptures and i have found that when we are thankful for what we have , we always receive more. That is a universal law, and like I said, it should be taught early.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 3:12 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I am teaching my kids to be grateful. I have had to start by un-training them first, so it has been a bit of an extra challenge. This last Christmas was WAY better than our first Christmas together. I have taught them how to completely fake liking a gift. They know that if they don't like a gift the receive it is the one and only time I not only approve of it, but REQUIRE them to put on a smiling face and LIE!! I am teaching them not only to be grateful that they got anything at all, but also that other people's feelings matter, and it is not appropriate to show dislike for any gift they receive (at least not in the company of the person giving it)

3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 3:24 AM on May. 20, 2009

• well its fine but i dont agree that just because we're humble people should take advantage and give our kid the most crappiest gift ever for example my nusbands aunt she has alot of money and he husband is really wealthy and she gave my 2 yr old son an outfit for a girl for christmas and I dont think thats right! i gave it to my inlaws and I gave it back to my inlaws so they can send it back to her but i doubt they did, i'm more than sure they just threw it away.
    bettyboob83

Answer by bettyboob83 at 4:00 AM on May. 20, 2009

• and once my grandma gave me fake gold crappy earrings that were broken I pretended they were real and that i liked them but deep inside i thought to myself damn she has 4 houses that she rents to people at 500 dlls each and she cant afford something else, I would of preferred a card instead of going threw that embarrassment i went threw when i opened that crappy gift infront of my other relatives:/ and she told me sorry thats all i can afford even though i didnt complain to her about it, i just threw them away when I got to my house since they were broken in half.
    bettyboob83

Answer by bettyboob83 at 4:05 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Wow. How do you teach some parents to be grateful?

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:10 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My children always say thank you even for the clothes they get as gifts and didn't want! I think things like this are what is missing in today's youth and why we have a lot of the problems we do. It would bother me too to sit and watch my niece or nephew be rude, but I wouldn't fell embaressed or sorry for your sister because she brought it on herself, but not teaching the kids the correct way.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:19 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Good post! For the most part my kids are grateful for anything. Oh sure there's times when kids all act like spoiled brats because they didn't get what they wanted. We threw tantrums when we were kids. It's just their nature. It's the degree they do it that shows in your teaching. Mine have learned to do kindness to others. That is more important. I teach them it's better to give than to receive. Teach them to make someone happy and they learn what it's like when someone tries to make them happy.
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 6:57 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I give my kids exactly what they want for birthdays and Christmas. So when they get not to great gifts from other people they still smile and say thank you. I don't make them fake happiness and lie about how much they like a gift. Everything is returnable.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:58 AM on May. 20, 2009