How do I deal with this neighbor?

Hi. A neighbor complained about my dog's barking once last summer. He said that he works odd hours and my dog's barking interrupted his sleep.
My dog barks on occasion but it is at a MINIMUM because I can't stand to hear it myself. She is outside long enough to go potty and run a lap or two. I do everything I can to keep her quiet and if she ever barks, it is rare and short lived. Out of the blue this same guy calls my house (!!) and leaves a voicemail about how he "politely" asked me to control my dog and that he is again "politely" asking me.
What on earth do I say to this man to get him to leave me alone? There is no way on earth any dog is quiet 24/7 and I can assure you as I'm a fan of quiet myself, she is not a barking nuisance! He's DEMANDING something ridiculous. It's as if he expects the whole neighborhood to be quiet to suit his schedule. I'm probably one of the quietest neighbors!!!
Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Pets

• Perhaps you can print off some information about sound proofing his bedroom and politely leave it on his door step. Expecting a dog to be totally silent is just ridiculous. If you need that kind of quiet, buy a house out in the country. Geez.

3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 3:19 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Did you know dogs can be trained to not bark? Alot of people assume that dogs are suppose to bark and they bark because they are bored, they are this they are that. I do understand that dogs will bark it is part of communication but they can be trained to not bark at every moving or non existing thing. I have siberian huskies and they are not much for barkers so we never got complaints. The only time they barked was when they wanted something or simply mouthing off to us which was rare.... Now our pug on the other hand, barks at the wind, but even she can be trained to cut off the barking. Dogs just need to be taught when it is OK to bark say in the house or when its food time or... And when it is not ok to bark. As for your neighbor, does he complain about kids too?
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 3:22 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I can understand where you're neighbor is coming from as far as working odd hours and it being hard to sleep because I work 3rd shift and it is really hard to sleep with all the noises. However, he is being unreasonable. I have a dog and he barks everytime he goes outside. I for one don't like to hear it alot either but that is how they communicate. No one comes by and tells me I'm talking too load or too much.
    craftykidsclub

Answer by craftykidsclub at 3:52 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Check your city's noise ordinances. Where I grew up, the law stated that loud noises (certain decible) including dogs had to be quiet by 10 PM. The neighbors could still complain if the noises were constant and super loud before 10, but it doesnt sound to me like your dog is a constant loud barker. Of course you want to make everyone happy, but if your dog is not breaking the law, then he really cant do much to you.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 6:00 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I would check on the laws regarding dogs in your area. We had the same problem with an old neighbor of ours (they moved). He thought that the dogs should never bark at all. He would scream at the dogs, which made them bark at him more. Not a good situation. Turns out, the law here says that the dog cannot be left outside to bark at will when the owner is not at home. Was not a problem for us at all legally, as I work from home and the dogs are left inside the house when I happen to go somewhere like the store. The neighbor did not like the law and decided it was time to move. He called animal control many times, but we did not so much as receive a ticket as we were doing nothing wrong and neither were our dogs. Matter of fact, those little barkers of mine alerted us to a break-in with the neighbor on the other side so that we could call the police. ; ) Some barking is a good thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on May. 20, 2009

• The laws for pets are frequently entirely different from regular noise ordinances and have their own specific categories.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I would leave my dog outsied all day just to piss him off. But i guess the best thing to do would be to see about the noise policy in your neiborhood. Its usualy where they have to be quiet after 10 or right around that time.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:05 AM on May. 20, 2009

• i wouldnt do anything, unless you want to talk to him about it. If your dog is not barking much then what else can you do.
    Is the dog barking while you are not home?
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:02 PM on May. 20, 2009

• you could debark your dog. i was facing a fine if my dog kept barking while my neighbor worked nights. i didn't know we would buy a house so soon. i wish i hadn't gotten rid of him. he was such a good dog but the fine was going to be $2500. i didn't think to debark my dog til later. they say he doesn't bother the dog but it does seem cruel.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:08 PM on May. 20, 2009

• i mean it doesn't bother the dog. also want to add the city would also take my dog away after the fine. i didn't want him taken to pound. if he complains to law then you could be in the same problem i was in. debarking would be the best alternative rather the what i did or was facing.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:09 PM on May. 20, 2009