Praise for being good?

Why is it important to praise your child for doing something good? Do you have any articles where you found the information from psychologists or research based material? Journals and news articles are okay too.

tbear2008

Asked by tbear2008 at 4:43 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's called Positive Reinforcement. To get the behavior you want, you praise behavior that is in the right direction. "You did well at lunch today keeping your elbows off the table."

I use the method in my teaching (Instead of "wrong answer" I'll say "Good guess, can you get a little closer?" or instead of "you didn't do the dance correctly" I'll say "You are really coming along on this dance.") Something else is that people remember the words not whether you use positive or negative terms with it. So I say Let's handle the bands lightly. instead of "Don't be rough with the bands." For the second example, the students would remember being rough with the bands.

Answer by Bmat at 7:16 AM on May. 20, 2009

• i dont have any articals or anything. but do you think thats just common sence? i mean would you want to do anything if you were never told good job?
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 4:49 AM on May. 20, 2009

• it encourages them to do MORE good... its common sense
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Children NEED attention. If you notice the good things in a good and positive way it satisfies that need and thereby taking away negative behaviors. As we all know negative behaviors ALWAYS get attention, if they aren't getting positive attention they WILL develop negative behaviors to fill the need for attention.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 5:54 AM on May. 20, 2009

• You tell a puppy good job when they do something good so they will do good things again. Same logic for a child. You tell them good job so they do more good things. If you only focus on the bad.... well look at what happens to a puppy.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 10:41 AM on May. 20, 2009