What is the difference between Health Insurance and Health care Program?

Is it OK to have just the health care program and not have the Health Insurance Plan? I can get Health care program for half the monthly premium as compared to the Health Insurance Plan. Please advise? Is it advisable?

thehcmgorg

Asked by thehcmgorg at 6:00 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Health

• I do not and never will again have Health Insurance. I do however have a non-insurance health benefits program. IMO, it's worlds better!

With Health Insurance you are forced to pay large amounts of money every month or year, and then they still don't cover 100% of your costs. In fact the national average for a family of 4's insurance premiem is just over $1000 a month. That means that if they aren't averaging at least $1000 a month that the insurance is paying they are throwing money away.

With my health benefits program I pay only $40 a month. And Save some times 3-4 times that in a month. DO I have a higher out of pocket cost? Yes. BUT, I'm still paying MUCH less than I was with insurance.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:28 PM on May. 24, 2009

• When I did have insurance I was paying just over $300 a month for my DH and I. Our doctors co-pay was $35 and Perscriptions were about $70 each. My DH has a health condition that requires a doctors care and daily drugs. With the insurance company we were required to see his doctor every 15 days. THe doctor only required us there once a month.

That meant that we paid $300+ every month for coverage + $35 each for 2 visits a month ($70) + Had to fill his RX twice a month instead of once ($140) If all we ever did was care for him we were paying $510+ every month for his healthcare.
    With the program we now have we pay $40 a month + 1 visit to the doctor (with the discount we pay about $55/visit) and only one Rx a month (the Rx comes to $235 w/ out discount plan) In total we ARE paying more for each individual service But paying less in the end. $510 vs $330... Total savings of almost $200/month

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:35 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Insurance comes with restrictions, rules and limits... Most non-insurance benefits companies don't have all the red tape.

You will pay more out of pocet for each induvidual thing, but less for the coverage and not have all the restrictions.

I always suggest that someone with a discount program like mine starts a HSA. And HSA (health savings account) allows you to save money, tax free, to be used towards healthcare.

We put about $150 a month in to our HSA. Once my hubby is off his Rx we will up that. But an HSA allows you to put money away to pay for your healthcare. But should you need it, it's there. Unlike w/ insurance which you pump money in to each month just to loose if you don't use. Also, an HSA, doesn't require you to put money in to it. So if you don't have the money this month, you don't put any in.

This allows you to have money to pull from and not have any OOP costs.

PM me if you have questions!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:42 PM on May. 24, 2009