is this normal, or sth's wrong with me?

ok i had a mild ppd when i had my son and had to go back to work when he was 3 months old. then i became a stay at home mom when he was about 8 months old, and now he's 22 months and i just started my new job. i only work 4 hours a day, and he has to be at the daycare from 8:30 to 1:10, which is about 5 hours. he went to the daycare twice before and he was fine. but this time when i dropped him off yesterday and today, he knew i was leaving and he didn't wanna let go of me. IT BROKE MY HEART to leave him. i heard him calling me and cried, and i got tears in my eyes leaving. i had to hold back from crying when i was driving to work. i wanted to go back to work and put him in the daycare because i don't want to be a very very attached mom and never wanna let their kids go. i'm glad i started working again, but how long do i have to cry like this everytime i leave him at the daycare? is this normal or it's just me?

KaydensMom99

Asked by KaydensMom99 at 6:31 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 16month old son has just started daycare.
    They usially cry for about 5mins, then they forget and play with the other kids.
    My son cried for the first 3days. and now his on his 3rd week he LOVES it.
    MummyJAIMEx

Answer by MummyJAIMEx at 6:49 AM on May. 20, 2009

• It is normal and if you are worried then call the daycare when you get to work. Most likely they will tell you he stopped about 5-10 minutes after you left and was fine. I wanted to speak to your comment about not wanting to be one of those super attached moms. Just because you stay at home with the kids does not mean you will be this way. I know plenty of mom's who are full time SAHMs and are not the super attached moms that never let their children go as you say. Actually the only moms I see that are like that are the ones who work because they want to make sure every minute they do have with their LO is "quality" time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on May. 20, 2009

• There seems to be some confusion for you. First you don't have to worry about being a very attached mom . There is no degree on this. If you are a good mom as It sounds like you are , you are already attached and should be. As baby gets older and more independent then letting go as he grows to adult will come natural. That is being a good mom also. For now you must listen to your heart. Babies at this age want to be with their mother. It is normal and makes sense. If you asked him what would be his answer? There is your answer. Some moms have to work and some moms need to work part-time to keep their sanity. It is a personal choice. Your baby is young for daycare but he will adjust if you want to work part -time. Again listen to your heart and you already know the right answer. Please don't worry about over attachment there is no such thing when they are babies. As they grow you let go. smile

Shirgrace

Answer by Shirgrace at 7:29 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I started my son in daycare 2-1/2 months ago at 16 months old - he loves it however, he still crys when I leave every morning - it breaks my heart every time,, never seems to get easier hearing your child scream your name -I know he gets excited when I talk about school and he loves his teacher ( its a center thats why I say school ) but he hates me to leave him - he just loves his mommy.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:29 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Its normal when his daddy is gone, I feel the same way, I had to just quit and stay at home with him, having Frank gone and then he sees mommy going off to work to, puts another burden on him, i guess; but they'r also toddlers and ugh all the emotions military families go thru. Ethan is better now, as long as he stays with who he wants to stay with, like not a stranger but either his uncles or my sister, someone he has fun with and loves to hang out with. Dont feel bad mammas ;)
    YESSIKITA

Answer by YESSIKITA at 2:25 PM on May. 20, 2009