Is it safe to eat honey while breastfeeding?

Zoeybug

Asked by Zoeybug at 6:55 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes I believe so...just none for the baby...your body brakes the bacteria down
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:59 AM on May. 20, 2009

• i ate honey and peanut butter throughout my pregnancy and me nursing both my kids. They are healthy. It wont harm them but if you are concerned, ask your doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on May. 20, 2009

• YOU can eat it it's just recommended that baby not eat it. It's because the spores in there are impossible to kill and baby does not have a mature digestive tract yet so it's easy for them to get sick.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:55 AM on May. 20, 2009

• From the section "Is this safe while breastfeeding? on kellymom.com:
    "Can a nursing mother eat honey?

Honey is not a problem for mom to eat. The gut flora of adults and children over a year old are able to fend off the botulism spores that may be present in honey, and render them harmless. Since the spores would be killed in your gastrointestinal tract, they would not make it into your bloodstream and therefore cannot be present in your milk. "

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:40 PM on May. 20, 2009