How do you stop a toddler/young child from messing with stuff in the middle of the night?

My daughter still has quite a few years before this will be a concern, but I've been thinking about it. Child proofing is not supposed to keep the child out completely, but to deter the child until you can catch them in the act, right? So without locking your kid's door (at a certain age they should be able to get over a gate), how can you be sure they won't get up and go rummaging around in cabinets in the middle of the night because they can't during the day?

Aaaack, it has me all worried : /

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:45 AM on May. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• My hubby just put these plastic child proof latches on all the kitchen cabniets, we also have door knob covers that work like those child proof bottle lids- an adult can open the door- but child cant at a young age. Security gates work depending on the type you buy. Use your baby moniter to listen- so you know when he is awake and can get up with him.
    pamom222

Answer by pamom222 at 7:51 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I HAVE TWIN GIRL'S AND WE HAD TO MAKE HOMEMADE 4FT GATES TO KEEP THE GIRLS IN AT NIGHT AND I HAD A BABY MONITOR IN THERE ROOM SO I COULD HEAR IF THEY GOT UP..THEY WERE GETTING UP AT NIGHT AND SNEAKING DOWN STAIRS AND GETTING IN THE FRIG AND EVERYTHING..IT WAS AWFUL..THEY WEREN'T VERY HAPPY WITH MOM AND DAD!!! ONCE WE STARTED POTTY TRAINING I PUT A POTTY CHAIR IN THERE ROOM!!! ALSO HAD TO SCREW THERE KITCHEN SET AND A FEW OTHER THINGS TO THE FLOOR SO THEY COULDN'T MOVE THEM TO THE GATE TO GET OUT!!!! MY DAUGHTER MADISON HAS NO FEAR AND SHE WAS MY CLIMBER..WE REMOVED IT AT 3 1/4 YEARS OLD NOW WERE FIGHTING 2 LITTLE ONES IN MY BED AT NIGHT!!!! I WILL NEVER END..LOL!!!
    TAMMSTWINS

Answer by TAMMSTWINS at 8:12 AM on May. 20, 2009

• basic baby proofing and baby gate. Or have bells or an alarm ont he door so it makes noise when they open it so you know they are up. Usually, if they are old enough to climb the baby gate, they are old enough to know the house rules. My daughter is 2 and is in a toddler bed. We have an extra large baby gate that she can't climb. if I forget to put it up, she climbs into bed with me in the middle of the night. She doesn't explore. I know not all kids are like that, but with a dark house, they are less likely to explore and with basic baby proofing many accidents can be avoided.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Club them over the head!

OMG..Im soooo totally kidding...I'd put some kind of noise maker or a baby monitor so that I could hear any noises that they were making...my daughter would do that..get out of her room and go into the living room and tear up everything...I had to put a gate at her door and at the end of the hallway...
    barefootbchbum

Answer by barefootbchbum at 12:51 PM on May. 20, 2009