Is it ok to increase my sons formula?

I am asking because he drinks 4 ozs no every 3-4 hours, and then after hes done, an hour later hes ready to drink more. Like hes not saitisfied. Should I increase it to 5oz? Hes 2 months old.

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 8:13 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always fed my kids as much as they needed. If he's still hungry, he'll eat. I don't think it would hurt him in anyway to have more at a feeding. Mine would fall asleep while eating and then be hungry again a short time later. If he's falling asleep, try keeping him awake.
    cleo1969

Answer by cleo1969 at 8:31 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Of course.

At that age you can't overfeed them, they'll just spit it back up.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:29 AM on May. 20, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with increase the amcount of formula you give him and if he doesn't want the rest he will let you know.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 9:34 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Sure you can. Just be sure to burp lots (some babies confuse a burp pain with hunger pain) and try using a super slow flow nipple so baby gets more sucking satisfaction (unfilled sucking satisfaction can cause them to overeat)
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 10:39 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Feed on demand. Follow his cues and you'll be fine. Mine were taking a LOT more than that at 2 months! lol

(8oz every 2-3 hours starting at 6 weeks!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:40 AM on May. 20, 2009

• What kind of formula are you using? I had that same problem with my son, but he's on Similac Alimentum (which is a lot thinner than regular formula). His pediatrician suggested putting cereal in his bottles. 1-3 tsp per ounce. For a 4 oz bottle, I use 6 tsp. It seems to be working for him. GOOD LUCK!!
    Mommy_in_00_09

Answer by Mommy_in_00_09 at 11:08 AM on May. 20, 2009

• when my son was 3 weeks old we had to put him on rice in his formula. He was eating every 30 minutes 6 ounces at a time. My opinion is if the baby is hungry feed him!
    womanofsouth

Answer by womanofsouth at 11:26 AM on May. 20, 2009

• If you think he's not satisfied then he's probably not. You could increase by an ounce or so or try some rice which is a step in the direction of solid foods. It makes it more like a milkshake and seems to be more filling. Just start out with a little and see how he toleraetes it. Good luck!
    TwinsMommy08

Answer by TwinsMommy08 at 11:31 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I would talk to a pediatrician before putting cereal into bottles. It is controversial these days. I think increasing the amount he eats to 5 0z is fine as long as he is hungry and not bored. If he is bored and looking for something to do he may want to eat (like the rest of us do!). Good luck!
    jokelta

Answer by jokelta at 11:36 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My 2 month old (who is now 5 months) had the same thing going on. I know it's a controversial issue, but I fed him cereal and it seemed to work. I didn't put it in his bottle, I spoon fed him. Sure, it was difficult at first, but he's now a pro! Do you what YOU think is right....mama always knows best.
    Mason627

Answer by Mason627 at 12:50 PM on May. 20, 2009