Why do people think at home schooled kids are weird?

So, I was at a friends house yesterday. I mentioned I am going to home school my daughter who is 11 and has been in main stream school since grade k. But, not my point, Point is why do they say "Oh, No don't do that she would be wierd. Home schooled kids get fat and are crazy" What? As apposed to your daughter who is a self proclaimed EMO-emotional kid who is Bi- I'm sorry but, I don't think you can judge my child who by the way would still be the same child who they don't think is wierd now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on May. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• They shouldn't judge your child. I just think people have this stereotype of homeschooled kids that they are "weird" because they haven't been around other kids so they are socially "different" or behind in some way. But thats not always true. People are just mean sometimes. They just think different automatically means weird I guess.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 8:26 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I personally think it all has to do with the parents and the way they teach their kids. If you have a well-rounded curriculum, then there's no reason your child can't be whatever society considers "normal." But *some* people (most certainly not all) use homeschool as an excuse to teach their children their radical beliefs and such.

But it's stupid to think that all homeschooled kids are fat and crazy, lmao. My best friend was homeschooled until eighth grade, then she went to public school with me. She wishes she could have gone to public school earlier, but she doesn't regret her mom teaching her for all those years.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:27 AM on May. 20, 2009

• both of my kids are homeschooled 12 and 15. they just started homeschool back in sept. my kids are far from weird, my son just can't handle being around other kids his own age, and my daughter hates the big school here in the city. they are use to a small school with 400 kids pre-k through 12. then i put them in a school that has 1,000 6th-8th. it was just the best decision for my kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Just a stigma. The thought it home schooled kids are lazy since you don't have "gym" class or "recess", less educated because one person can only teach so much - espically for the high school grades where most teachers specialize, are unsocial becuase they are home iwth mommy all day and not around other kids so they don't learn the playground ettiqute. Most of these can be over come, but it's jsut assumed that it isn't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on May. 20, 2009

• to get around the no gym no recess thing we are doing things like bowling, going to the local gym to work out and go swimming. So , what because your home schooled means you never see the outside world. I don't think so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My homeschooled kids are WAY more social than many of the PS kids I know. There's a little girl who lives down the street from us who goes to PS and she freaks out whenever she gets a little bit dirty, complains about EVERYTHING, has no respect for anyone's privacy, and MY kids are weird?!?

My kids go to Tae Kwon Do, exercise DAILY at home and have household chores they are responsible for every day. They have friends of various ages and types ( including autistic) and they've been going with us to the homeless shelter to do a chapel service since they were 3. Yeah, MY kids are lazy and weird...
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:11 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Because some people who homeschool are weird to start with and if they are homeschooling due to extremely rigid fundamentalist religious beliefs that influences what and how the children are taught, and makes the kids act and dress even more strangely.
    Normal people who homeschool aren't weird.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I think because of the lack of socialization that they would get at school.
    Anonymous

• My mother is a middle-school guidance counselor and has to talk to some of the local home schooled kids sometimes and says that most (but not all) of them are pretty weird. As an educator she is opposed to home schooling because she feels that children who are homeschooled do not develop adequate social skills. People mentioned children being taught by their parents, but parents can not teach social skills they must be developed by children interacting with their peers. Taking your kids to the gym or having them do chores around the house doesn't cut it. Home-schooling isn't necessarily bad if there is a structured way for kids to meet with other kids their own age and develop adequate social skills. But most parents who home-school their kids seem to neglect this, which causes their kids to become socially awkward. Also, I have noticed that many parents who homeschool don't seem to want to encourage them to socialize.
    kman99

Answer by kman99 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• well my daughter is 14 and she has only just being homeschooled since this may . she went to a secondary school in the local area till she was in year 9 but because of bullying she moved to another school out side our area which she found very hard because she had to go on a coach . when she got there she loved it , she made new friends and joined into all after school activities and enjoyed it . but ther are always one girl which dont like the new girl then the bullying started again. so i decided to take her out of school and she has been alot more happy and has more time to work. my daughter is very sociable because she plays rugby for the county and she also has 2 other friends which are homeschooled and she goes over to there house and study with them and go shopping also she does extra work on tv which means she socalizes with other people and i also get a private tutor to help sophia and her work . so is she weird ?
    lilly754

Answer by lilly754 at 6:48 AM on Nov. 8, 2010