To christen or not to christen that is the questian?

I am not a christian nor do i have any children yet (TTC), but my husband and i have decided that when we do have children we will not get them christened in the christian religion. Nor will we do so in any other religion until our children can make the decision on their own. This is not something we have told many of our relatives and it is something i am kind of dreading. We both have some VERY christian families. What are your thoughts on this subject?

mbaker331

Asked by mbaker331 at 8:35 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's not up to your families to decide whether you do it or not. It's up to YOU and your HUSBAND.

I think it's an excellent idea to let your child grow up and decide for themselves. Why dedicate your child to a religion that you're not a part of? It just seems silly to me. (no offense meant, general 'you' there)

My fiance is agnostic and I'm an agnostic atheist. We're not going to push our daughter into agnosticism at all. We'll answer whatever questions she has to the best of our abilities. We both have very Christian families too. Our families don't really know about our beliefs though. It sucks sometimes.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:42 AM on May. 20, 2009

• i think its fine...christening a baby/child is more of a promise by parents on how they will raise the child, and if neither of you are xtian, it would be a farce, and illogical for you to xtian your baby. your families will be upset, assumedly, but they should know the real meaning behind christenings/baptisms, and they also know you (and your dh) aren't xtian and its not important to you. afterall, the parents raise the child, not the families...in most instances, anyway.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:45 AM on May. 20, 2009

• If it was up to my mom I would still be a practicing Catholic and would be taking my kids to church every Sunday. I don't believe in organized religion much to her dissapointment but she deals with it because she knows it's my decision and my kids.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:15 AM on May. 20, 2009

• well you domt have to christen them but give them bible based knowledge.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:19 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Our children have not been christened, our youngest was "dedicated" to our church. This is what our church performs at the paren't request, to announce that they will promise to raise their child in Gods love. We actually go to another church now but I am glad we did it.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 9:32 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I don't believe that it's our place to choose a path for our children. Like you I think it's something that is very personal. I did not and will not dedicate, baptize or christen either of my kids... When they are ready and willing they can do it themselves.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:49 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Your kids, not theirs. You call the shots.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:51 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I think its your children and you will do what you feel is best even if others dont.
    If the others dont respect your decisions as parents then they either need to stay away or learn to be quiet on the subject while around.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:53 AM on May. 20, 2009

• While I disagree with you completely and feel that it is a parent's job to raise children in the Truth and the Word, if you don't believe it, I would rather that you not fake it with a meaningless ceremony. If you dont believe in it, don't do it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I think you are absolutely right & if you are not a Christian it makes no sense to have your children Christened or teach them other people's beliefs. If your families ask about a Christening try to keep it at the level of a minor issue, simply tell them you want your child to find their own religious path & that you will neither lead them or bar their way. They might make a fuss, but if you refuse to argue with them about it they will eventually let it go, or at least stop talking to you about it.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:36 PM on May. 20, 2009