The future of our economy

The crime rate is pretty high for the size of town I live in. The penalty for crime is pretty steep, but this hasn't been a deterrent for law breakers. One philosophy is that there aren’t enough jobs to keep people busy. And, the types of jobs needed are factory jobs that don't require education, but are also decent in pay (not minimum wage). A lot of people in my town don't have transportation to commute to a larger city for work either.

As I listen to this, I wonder about how can a small city attract factory jobs when these jobs are going beyond the borders of the U.S.?

What is your take on this? And, what are your prospective to the ratio of jobs versus people, jobs versus education, and the future?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 8:48 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If your town is so small I doubt companies that might go overseas would set up there anyway.

Companies set up where they think they will make the most profit. If you think you need companies that need people with no education it isn't saying much for your city. Maybe the city needs to start from the bottom. Educating the children and encouraging them to stay in school to get a good education. This is where it starts. It's hard to take an adult who lives off the government and turn them into a good hard working citizen if they have had a hard life and know nothing but that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:38 AM on May. 20, 2009

• our economy has no future
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Hi itsmesteph11, You have a good point.

The issue is, this town cannot dream up of solutions that are unreachable. Hopefully in the future some larger companies will come in, as with so far smaller business have migrated from the city to my town because of the desperation and hiring at lesser pay.

The issue is, the town that I am at tries to preserve its history, and is very touristee because of that. However, for those who live here, history doesn't pay the bills. I am not part of the commission, but I do take a voice. I am trying to pursuade the commission to welcome commercialism. Right now, the city commission has a "Good Ol Boy" syndrome that it doesn't like commercialism because it is competition for the existing small businesses. The fact is, the current economy is just not cutting it for the population.

I'm trying to find a middle between the minds of the population and the minds of the city commiss
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 9:49 AM on May. 20, 2009

• If you want a good factory job then I recommend you move to China. they are soon to sit at the head of the world table.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:14 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Im scred of what the future will be like for our children! Our jobs are being shiupped over seas because the companies want ti take the easy way out. In the US we have enviromental laws, minimumw age requirements, and regulations on working conditions. Obviously companies are going to move to soem underdeveloped counrty with no regulations on labor and pay little to nothing. I read somewhere that they work for as little as $2.00! I understand why companies do this but our economy needs help and we need to do something fast. Most of the jobs that are available in my town are minimum wage, no education needed jobs like McD's and gas stations.
    goose23

Answer by goose23 at 11:01 PM on May. 20, 2009

• The tax burden is the main reason they leave. We are the second highest corp tax rate in the world. Second only to Japan. Nobody is flocking their either. We want the prices paid at walmart for things and they can not sell them for that if they are made here.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:24 AM on May. 21, 2009