If your child was transgendered, would you respect that or would you try to force them to be the gender they were born with?

http://www.wptz.com/family/19491867/detail.html

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:48 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You cant force some one to be something that they are not- I would make sure the whole family had alot of councling - my brother came out in high school that he was gay, and one of his friends is trans gender. Where we live on the East coast it is more acceptable now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Call me old fashioned or whatever, but I don't believe that transgender is a disease or whatever it is they are saying it is. To me it's just wrong. But, I don't know what I would do if one of my children thought they were transgendered. Hopefully I will not have to deal with that. I don't believe that it's something that they are born with. I believe that it's a choice.
    Anonymous

• I'd respect it. I never had a choice if they would be M or F to begin with!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:53 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I would have to redirect my child to what his or her chromosomes say. Reason, our society is very judgemental, and I wouldn't want any harsh negative attention to be directed to my child during formative years (as much as I can control). I want my child to have as easy of a childhood as possible.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 8:55 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I can only hope and pray that I never find myself in that situation.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:02 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My first concern is the well being of my children, so I would respect them and allow them to be who they were born to be.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:10 AM on May. 20, 2009

• If one of my children was a hermaphrodite (born with both sex organs), and I had to decide which sex to make them, I would choose female. This way if they were small in stature, physical abilities they wold at least look female, instead of having an effeminate looking son who wonders why he doesn't look/act like his male classmates.

Ultimately I would want my children to be happy. If they wanted to have transgender surgery, it would be when they were fully grown, after extensive psychological counseling, and it would be at their expense.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I would have to let my kid just be themselves.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:24 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I am going to answer this before I ready any other responses. (I'm sure that matters:) ) anyway, I want my kids to be happy and  healthy. If I tried to make them something they aren't, they won't be happy, or healthy. I'd prefer the boys to be boys, and my girl to be a girl. But their happiness comes before what I'd prefer, in this instance. I respect religion, but I will not let religion rule my life. Like I said, I want my kids to be happy and healthy. And if one of them was transgender, then that's fine. It's not hurting anyone, so why would I want them to change?

Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 9:30 AM on May. 20, 2009

• It is not something they choose. Not any more then you can choose who you fall in love with. I do understand this is your opinion, but honey, your opinion is WRONG!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on May. 20, 2009