What do you do when you hate your job in this crappy economy?

Do you look for a new job, even though the pickings are slim? Do you ride it out until the economy picks up? Do you sit back, shut up, and be grateful that you have a job because there are plenty others out there that have lost their job?

HisMomsADiva

Asked by HisMomsADiva at 8:59 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• You conduct a stealth job search.
    I do career and job search coaching, and I am always happy to help cafemoms with resumes, cover letters, job search strategies and interview prep. Feel free to contact me directly.
    -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 1:04 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Secretly look for another and get my resume ready for submission. Other than that, I would stay with my current job.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 9:00 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I hate my job, but I'm sticking it out since this economy is so bad, I can't afford to not have one. Also, I know it'll look great on my resume for when the economy does pick back up in a few years.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:01 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I would consider all my options. Do you depend on the income to survive? If so, I would look for another job but keep the job I had. If not, I would quit and find something else. You might want to consider a taking on a part time job to fill the income gap between jobs. Visit my profile for ideas.

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:03 AM on May. 20, 2009

• All of the above! You can look for a new job while you're still working the one you hate. And if you don't find anything, you ride it out until the economy picks up. And either way, you should be grateful for the job you have!
    Is there a way you could change positions in the company? I worked at a grocery store in the deli for almost 4 years. And that long in Deli after 5 years in fast food was driving me nuts. Once a week I asked my SO if I could quit my job (when I was only into my first year!) After a while, I spoke up, I said I needed a break from deli. So I started getting hours in the floral dept and I loved it! Then I picked up a few hours in the pricing dept. And I like that too! After awhile, I was only working deli a couple days a week, so it wasn't so bad!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 9:36 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I started a home business and then quit. That worked for me.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 9:38 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Unfortunately what you said last is what i am having to do. I hate my job and the person that i work for is a wienie. But i know we can't support my family without my income. So i am just trying to stick it out and tell my self everyday , lunch will be her soon, then 5"o clock will be here soon. I just look at it as 4 hours at a time then i get to see my family. But i quietly keep my eyes and ears open and submit a resume if somethin looks appealing. I jsut put ont here to please not contact my current employer withour consulting me first. If i could quit and look for a job i would but i can't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Look for work but suck it up and go to work each day. It is a job and in this economy you do what you have to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 20, 2009

• If you need the income you need to stick it out until something else comes along. I don't like where I work and no longer have the passion for what I do so I decided to take control and start my own business. I still have to go to work everyday because I am the sole provider for our family but the days go faster knowing that I can come home and work on my business so some day I can quit and not have to go through it again at another job.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 1:03 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Stay where you are right now,but do something on the side that you are passionate about that can supplament your income untill it fully replaces your current job.check out my website http://www.workathomeunited.com/sbrement
    Tia23sb

Answer by Tia23sb at 3:33 PM on May. 20, 2009