So potty training.. how do I go about this?

My 18 month old son has recently decided that he does not wish to wear a diaper and wants to sit on the toilet. We have been running into there (me following him) every 5 minutes so he can sit on the toilet. Is this how it is done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on May. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• When evern you find out how to do it.... p;ease let me know. I have been trying to potty train my 28 month ols son since he was 19 m and nothing has worked. Im at a loss with it!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 9:27 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I potty trained both my boys at age 2 in 4 days! I told them a few days before I was going to try so we did a countdown. Then the night before I told them in the morning we go potty. When they woke up I took them. If they didn't go they sat for a few min. (not long). If they still didn't go we ate and when they were done potty time. I kept taking them every 5 min. until they went. After they went the first time I set a timer for every 20 min. the first day. Pull ups at bedtime and underwear during the day. When they wet say yuck that goes in the potty. We also sent our poopy to the poopy party. By the third day of doing this they both started telling me and waiting longer to go and had no accidents after 4 days. On the times that they didn't want to go I made up some silly potty song. I did give choices like if you don't want to go now you can wait 5 min. but then you have to try. I also did rewards.
    Jesmomof3

Answer by Jesmomof3 at 10:00 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Like the above responce, you have to make them interested in it.
    My son was 2 and I got a poster board and pack of stickers. He ran around naked the first few days and I made the same 5 min. trips to the potty. He got a sticker for sitting a few minutes (I let him put it anywhere on the board he wanted) , then he got a gummybear or something if he actually pee peed in the potty. By day 3 I used "big boy undies" during the day. I let him help buy them at the store. Limit the drinks about 2 hours before bed time to help with night time training. Just find what makes your lil one interested and go with it. But be consistant. So plan to do it on a few days you can stay home and close to the potty. GL
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 10:10 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I don't know about boys..but with my daughter, my mom told me to only give her a drink with breakfast, lunch and dinner...then a little while after she ate take her to the potty and make her sit there till she goes...if she went she got a treat (like a few m&ms or a small toy...something simple). If you make it a routine, like after breakfast go potty, it helps. Lots of positive reinforcement..and consistency. Good Luck!
    barefootbchbum

Answer by barefootbchbum at 12:36 PM on May. 20, 2009

• let them know they will get a reward for going in the potty. thats what my friend did with her boy.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:52 PM on May. 20, 2009