Someone said on here yesterday:

She washes her kids mouths out with soap. Now, I can see doing this when I was little (uk, it happened a couple of times) but having just come out of working in a lab where I tested EPA standards, I know the ingredients in soap...and there is some pretty harsh stuff in there. Several moms got onto her calling this abuse. While I would never do this, and in the specific case of this woman I think it is abuse, I was just wondering, is washing kids mouth out still a common practice for some parents?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 9:20 AM on May. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am amazed people still do this. My mom did this to me when I was a kid. I had diarrhea all the time from the soap. I think it is abusive.  Some parents are not creative enough to discipline in a way that is effective and not abusive.  I feel bad for their kids.  My son has never been spanked, had soap or hot sauce in his mouth.  We use logical consequences.  He does not talk back and rarely misbehaves.  We have been an example of how to behave and found better ways to correct his behavior.  My siblings all use violent and cruel discipline.  Their kids are brats and still don't listen.  They ask me what I do to have a calm child and they think I am nuts.  I have a calm, sweet, intelligent, creative, fun spirited and well behaved child I would think they would beg me to help them.  To each their own.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on May. 20, 2009

• i hope not! i know i would never do it! i remember once i had got ready to wash my hands , had the soap on my hands , and my hair was in my mouth so i took the finger w/ no soap on it and got it out , and my finger DID have soap on it! ICK! i about died lol. i would never EVER do that! i was watching supernanny one night and cried bc one woman got the soap dispenser and squirted it into her sons mouth! i got so pissed off!
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:23 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I'm sure plenty of people still do it but wouldn't tell anyone about it.

Other parents are okay with putting hot sauce on their kids' tongues. Yuck.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:23 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My parents did it to me once. But i wouldnt do it to my kids. There are so much more effective ways to disapline.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 9:25 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Hot sauce? That's mean! But at least hot sauce is actually made to consume.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:26 AM on May. 20, 2009

• i dont do it but have threaten i would..i have had it done to me when i was younger ( mouthing off,back talken,) and i remember it was palmolive. i remember it was yucky and bubbly but after the 3rd time i learnd my lesson lol. and so far no side effects BUT might be the reason i dont buy the dishsoap..i dont judge who does it and who dosent its there choice and could be how they were raised again i had it done but have never done it to my kids but have said keep it up and you'll get your mouth washed out. but it never lead to that my dd knows it was done to me so she knows not to push any limits.. *phew*
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:27 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I have done it once. That's all it took. I have a child who has a smart mouth and I washed his mouth out with soap. But I only had to do it the one time. Now when he gets mouthy all I have to do is mention soap and he clams up and apologizes. I think that it can be an effective tool when it's only used the once or twice if need be...the reminder of how awful the experience was is all it should take to help your child correct their actions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on May. 20, 2009

• "i dont do it but have threaten i would.."

I don't see this as effective. They have never tasted soap, how do they know to not like it and straighten themselves up? Never threaten to do something unless you are going to follow through. That's why I had to wash my son's mouth out with soap...I made the threat (it slipped out) and when he didn't stop mouthing off I had to follow through. If you don't follow through on threats your children will never respect your authority.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on May. 20, 2009

• eww, no. I'd just feed them bear meat...
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:31 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I would! Too many kids now days are foul mouthed and NEED to have their mouths washed out!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on May. 20, 2009