• In the Spotlight:

Are you kids safe?

Teacher at Christian School accused of molesting boy.***************
Anchorage,Alaska.
A teacher,coach,mentor and youth group leader is behind bars charged with 14 counts of sexually abusing a minor.
http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=10384026

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Great. I hate the news sometimes. I have a special needs son, who was attacked by another student on the playground The kid chased him and hit him with a plastic ball bat. That student happened to be more emotionally disabled then MD like my son. As far as I know, no teacher has abused him. I couldn't sit and wait for the law to deal with them, I really couldn't. I was listening to the radio this morning and the topic was 'what do you worry about that most others don't '. I think I'm going to have problems with anxiety again for a while, with all this stuff in the news.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 9:35 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I pray and hope so, but due to the state of the world we live in today bad things can happen to any of our kids at anytime. But to answer your question for the time being yes.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:38 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I always know where my children are and have constant meeting and discussions with those I entrust to their care (teachers, coaches, etc.) I interact with my children so much so when they are home, I would know if something was wrong just by their demeanor.

Parents who dump their kids off, and never meet with the people they entrust their children to--even if for an hour--are to blame. YOU and only you are responsible for providing safe and nurturing environments for your children, and teaching them how to stay safe, and communicate with you when they do not.

Just like those who leave their children in day care all day, everyday, only to learn their child was neglected, mistreated or abused...hope it was worth it! This is why having a committed partner or husband who can financially support the family so mothers can stay home with their children for a few years, when they are the most vulnerable and protect them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Buffie, why would you let your son play in the playground without supervision? If this incident occured during school hours, where were the teachers? I'd be holding them accountable!

My children have high-functioning Autism and I NEVER let them play unattended--except in our fenced in back yard, because I KNOW at the ages of 7 and 5, they do not YET have the skills to defend themselves from bullies, nor do they have "street smart" skills to determine who or what is safe and who or what is not. This is why I have them enrolled in Karate classes--so they learn to carry themselves with confidence and HOPEFULLY will learn how to defend themselves....but until then, I keep a close eye.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:44 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Anon you made great points, why post anon? I didn't work, mostly because we couldn't afford childcare for 3 kids. Unfortunatly, even though you are involved with the school and the teachers, that doesn't guarentee your kids safety. I think that the law needs to be beefed up, and the consequences for those that abuse the kids needs to be much harsher. My son's teacher saw the kid chase my son, she ran to stop him, but couldn't get there in time. She said my son was scared, he knew what was happening. The cops were called, I could have pressed charges. I didn't, because the cop knew the kid and his family. I asked if the parents were getting him the help he needed, and they all said yes. I couldn't press charges if his parents were doing what they could. I did talk with the mom a few days later, and she was afraid that since they are black and we are white, that I would press charges. I told her no, I wasn't. The kid was moved
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 9:46 AM on May. 20, 2009

• "A teacher,coach,mentor and youth group leader"

Anon, you can't judge parents that way.  Even parents who try their hardest get fooled by people.  That is why most children are molested by trusted adults and family members.  There are probably lots of things you don't know about your children's teachers, coaches, and friends.  Whether those things will affect your children, only time will tell.  Most people are basically honest, but the dishonest creeps can be very persuasive.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:47 AM on May. 20, 2009

• to an alternate school. He was kept away from my son until space was made. How this whole thing was handled, I don't think it could have been handled any better. I'm glad for that. This whole thing with kids, being murdered, molested, abused, I really should stop watching tv. It's not making me be more observant, I already am. It's making me really anxious about letting my kids out of my sight. No one should have to live in fear of thier kids safty. And it's sickening that laws are not stricter.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 9:48 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Lorikeet, I should have made it more clear. He was at school, it was during recess.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 9:49 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Buffie--since I can only trust my gut feelings, and cannot trust that laws will protect my son (since they are really only enforceable AFTER something has happened--which may be too late depending on the crime), I go by what I think is proper and just.

I approach EVERY new situation with caution and a degree of mistrust. I make people EARN their trust. Just because someone is a pillar in their community, doesn't mean they have my child's best interests in mind. For example, I would be VERY leery about a man who wanted to coach a boys sport team/group who was single and did not have children of his own...WHY would someone like that WANT to be around young boys?! And even if the program was touted as the best, I would insist on watching practices and attending meets/games, until I was SURE (if ever) that the coach and the program were on the up and up. If it means being a Team Parent all the better!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:55 AM on May. 20, 2009

• No, I have 3 daughters that all look like their grandmother, I have never believed they were safe. My husband is very protective of them, I can understand why.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 10:04 AM on May. 20, 2009