Does anyone's baby have allergies?

My daughter's dr told me yesterday that he thinks she has allergies but that we can't do any testing to determine what it is to or start any treatments until she is at least two years old. She is currently 9 months.

Obviously I can't just put her in a bubble, but how do I limit her exposure to the allergen so she doesn't keep getting sick without knowing what it is? Also, do you know of any treatments that are safe and effective for a baby her age?

MrsAce150

Asked by MrsAce150 at 9:35 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• So sorry you have to deal with that! My daughter's doctor said that his medical team had a meeting with an eye, nose and throat specialist who explained that kids don't develop allergies until they're around 3 years old. The doctor brought up the point that this just can't apply to every baby, because some show symptoms MUCH earlier. Which can be explained away by a diagnosis of a cold, pink eye, etc. But anyway - my doctor suggested a few things for us to do. Vacuum the couch or other frequent play areas. If your vacuum is as bad as mine, you migh want to do this only when the kiddo's not actually in the house. It kicks up more allergens! You may want to invest in an air purifier. I've heard/read conflicting info on them, but it couldn't hurt to try. I'm pretty sure our cat is the culprit of my daughters' allergies. If you've got animals, it's good to keep them from sleeping in your child's bed & cuddling with them too much.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 9:42 AM on May. 20, 2009

• eye, nose and throat specialist LOL it's ear nose & throat

i gave my kid zyrtec
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on May. 20, 2009

• ok, first off get a seccond opinion. YES they can test earlier if they want to, it is just TYPICAL to not test until later.
    She is just young enough that her allergies could be food related and you need to know. My BFF had to do this with a 5 month old and after several test found she was having reactions to a wheat in formula and mothers breast milk. Everyone changed diets and she was alot less fussy, no spit up and less ear infections, etc.
    Ever if it is air born allergens, there are breathing mask treatments she can do at home a few minutes a day to help. So just be pushy, it's your kiddo and she needs you to speak up for her.
    Good Luck
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 10:18 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My son has food allergies, which we learned of from testing. He's allergic to apples and sweet potatoes of all things. We originally went to the allergist for a consultation because of my son's frequent ear infections and wheezing - which seemed to come about with weather changes and other seasonal allergy triggers (seasonal allergies run in the family). Unfortunately, they said they couldn't test for seasonal allergens until after 12 or 18 mos at least. So I know how you feel! Breathing treatments have helped with the wheezing in the meantime. Watch for symptoms, and keep her nose clear with saline drops if baby gets conjested!! Good luck.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 10:33 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My 4mo old just had a blood draw for egg allergy yesterday but I dont know about seasonal allergies. Good luck!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 10:37 AM on May. 20, 2009