Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I guess i misunderstood my cpa

When i turned in our taxes to be done, we had a problem . We received a letter from the irs saying that there was an error on our 07 tax return and that we owed some taxes and we had to respond by april 1 weather or not we agreed or not and what we proposes to do. So i took all that to the cpa also. And i thought he saidthat they would respond to the irs by april 1 for me on what we are going to do. Well he called me yesterday to tell me that he was working on the correction from 07 and last years. HE said on the letter it said to respond by april 1st did i. I said well no, i thought you were going to. He just said oh and asked if i received it regular mail or certified. It was just regular mail and i havn't got anything since. so he said he was still working on the 08 and when he gets done he will let me know how much we owe and whaever. So should i call back up there and ask if i should call the irs now?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • I wouldn't worry about it. We send reponses "late" all the time. As long as you correct the issue, it shouldn't be a problem. IRS will send a few notices then an intent to levy. It rarely gets that far. We usually respond to the noitice with the correction or rebuttal.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on May. 20, 2009

  • The worst that's going to happen to you is an audit that will show that you owe. You do need to contact the IRS. Best to have your tax archives available, if you can.

    IRS live chat

    Answer by BlueSaphire at 10:09 AM on May. 20, 2009

  • If your CPA signed you tax return as the preparer (if he didn't, then you wasted your money), then he is responsible for any interest and penalty charges.

    Are your taxes really that complicated that you need to pay someone to do them? I have been filing my own tax return since I was 16; I have gone from pencil and paper to

    Answer by rkoloms at 1:02 PM on May. 20, 2009

  • um, obviously i think so. We have farm writeoffs and meilage and fuel from what husband does and i am not comfortable doing them on my own . I do not want to write off something that shouldn't be. But congrats to you that you can do your own. I would rather pays someone to do them such as a qualified CPA. Apparently trusting people at H&R blcok isn't the thing to do since there is a problem with 07 tax return.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on May. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.