Why?

Why do we have to go through Jesus to talk to God? If God loves us all as much as he says he does, why do we have to ask the son to go to his father for permission. Again, this was something I talked to my dad about. And to illustrate it for him, I told him it would be like his dad (when he was alive obviously) saying that my dad and his younger brothers had to go through the oldest to ask him something. I mean, does that really make sense. Or, think of it this way. If you have more then one child, it would be like your telling your younger kids that they had to ask your oldest to ask you something. Get it. So, why is that?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 9:41 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My church prayed to God directly...so I really don't know.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:43 AM on May. 20, 2009

• You can talk to God directly. As loving Father that's what He wants. For us not to be afraid of him, but go to him.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:45 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Because somewhere in the bible it says so, & people take that literally. They want to believe that Jesus is the only way because it makes them feel more special, like they have the correct method to god & no one else does. This can improve faith in some people. Feeling that they are SO lucky to be one of the "special ones" that gets to go to heaven. They see themselves as the true seeker who found the right way. If EVERYONE believed that all religions could get you to god, then it would take that extra special spark out of their belief. They would no longer be the only lucky ones who get to go to heaven, which would drive certain people to doubt their faith & religion. Saying Jesus is the only way, makes a barbed wire fence that you can only get into, but not out. They are the elite special religion that gets to go to heaven (in their minds) and they want to keep it that way.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:49 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Again, I'm not really sure the point of the question? There are no rules when it comes to prayer and faith. I pray daily and I don't have to think about who and why and what, when I pray.
    Is it possible you may be confused or just need to read his word. If you want to chat or discuss the Bible, let me know.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 9:52 AM on May. 20, 2009

• what she means is why is Jesus the "correct" way to god. At least that's what i got out of it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:54 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Well, I think saurai_chica is right - what Ashley is trying to point out is that Christians believe that the only way to salvation is through knowing and accepting Jesus as a savior.

As for prayer itself, I talk directly to God when I pray, as I believe God and Jesus are/were one and the same, so they're kinda interchangeable to me.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:59 AM on May. 20, 2009

• You pray to God and end the prayer in Jesus name because God sent Jesus to die on the cross for us. He is a part of God and if we accept God we need to also accept Jesus as the one who came and died on the cross for our sins. Prayer is a way of that acceptance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Again, armywife, I am just trying to get Christians to realize these are some of the questions we on the outside have. I am not trying to say that you are wrong, but only that no one ever really explains why. And, good for you that your religion doesn't do that. But trust me, there are several that do. The one I was raised in. And, sure, I would love to chat, if you are willing and ready to have my religion discussed as well.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:04 AM on May. 20, 2009

• And if God is everywhere, do we have to go to church? Does He listen harder and better just because we're sitting in a man-made structure instead of in our own homes where we're more comfortable? Or is church just made up by man in order to pass their own judgement upon others who do not attend church?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on May. 20, 2009

• People believe that Jesus is our intersessor (hope that's the right word here). The catholic church uses a preist to communicate to God for them, and other denominations just use Christ. I think it says somewhere in the Bible that Christ is our intersessor. I think it has to do with us being full of sin and Jesus being pure too.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:12 AM on May. 20, 2009