Diversity Lesson Plan..

Hello!~
I have to write a lesson plan on diversity for school aged children. It is part of my final project in my child daycare management course. I am lost, and don't have ANY ideas on where to start. What to write about? It has to be something about diversity for children 4-9. So it has to be something a 4 year old will enjoy and be able to participate in, but also something that a 9 year old will also enjoy.. The age gap is really getting me, and I really cant think of a way to teach 4 year olds about diversity.. Any ideas are welcome!! Thanks so much in advance! :)

MamaMulder

Asked by MamaMulder at 9:45 AM on May. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try a childrens book about someone being excluded for being different as a starting point. There's that one by Dr. Seuss about the creatures that got stars stamped on their bellies... I can never remember what it's called. And you should be able to find a lot with animals as characters. Ask the librarian at your local library maybe. Then ask kids to talk/write about how they would feel if they were the excluded character, and/or what they would have done if they belonged to the group of people/animals that were intolerant. Talk about how hard it can be to stand up for what you believe in when everyone else isn't. You can also give an example like "Today only the kids wearing a blue shirt get to eat lunch. What do you think of that idea?" You can also do something as simple as sharing examples of diversity in the world - just saying "Hey look these kids all do ___ differently" - it can be different kinds of houses, clothing,etc
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:51 AM on May. 20, 2009

• You can also scaffold the lesson to the different ages by giving them different activities to work on in response to the same question. Like for the older kids they could write a paragraph about how they would feel, while the little kids might get a picture of the character and they draw in the face to show how s/he felt, and then color the whole picture. Everyone would be responding to "How would you feel if you were so-and-so?" Other kids in between might get a paper that says "If I were so-and-so, I would feel..." and they just fill in the blanks. You can also have kids trace their hands and cut them out, color them two different colors (if you are talking about race), and glue them onto a picture of the earth with a heart in between the two hands. You could also teach kids how to say hello in several different languages, for linguistic diversity. You could also talk about different kinds of families. Oops out of room again
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:55 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My mom would have some good ideas.... I will talk to her later and get back to you... she is a child care profesional.... for almost 30 years
    ESTHERLEIGH

Answer by ESTHERLEIGH at 10:26 AM on May. 20, 2009

• When I was a Girl Scout we had International Days. It was a fund raiser but each person would bring a snack size food from a country (countries were picked at random) and then we'd create little booth and sell each for one raffle ticket (raffle tickets were sold for $0.10 ea). Then people could walk around the different booths and try foods from other countries (e.g. cream puffs from France, meatballs from Sweden, edamame from Japan, etc.). You could always turn this idea into something much simpler but at least you get the idea.
    TaiyoandMe

Answer by TaiyoandMe at 2:10 PM on May. 20, 2009

• CM has a mommies who are teachers group. If you post this there you will have a bunch of teachers to give you ideas.
    Anonymous

• i just finished a diversity in the classroom class. one project we did was to use a bunch of different paints (made for this activity) to blend them together and make each child's skin tone. we also had the children (4-5) bring in a family tradition. we made fry bread for one child. we made latke for another. we played music from around the world. we also went and watched massai dancers!
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 1:02 AM on May. 25, 2009