Should an intersex person have to choose a sex?

So should people born with both genetalia or a hormonal imbalance that causes gender confusion have to choose a sex? Do they get to marry whoever they want since they're neither a man nor a woman? Is it dishonoring God to try and force them into one sex or the other since that is they way they were made specifically those who do not identify with one sex or the other.

smalltowngal

Asked by smalltowngal at 10:17 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-9 Credits)
  • I have no idea.I never thought of it.Good question
    babysyoungmom1

Answer by babysyoungmom1 at 10:28 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Can't DNA tests now tell doctors and parents which sex the baby born with this unfortunate problem really is? Then they know which "parts" to keep and which ones to remove so the child doesn't have to go through life feeling and being called a "freak of nature".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on May. 20, 2009

• In cases like that most people feel more like a man or a woman and go with what they feel. It is wrong for a parent to decide for them but once they are old enough to decide and associate the feelings of a man or woman then they make the choice based on what they feel. It is a tough situation and I actually have a good family friend who was born that way and is now a man and you would never know he wasn't born all male.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:31 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I think people should decide for themselves to be whatever they want to be as long as it doesn't harm another human being. If someone is okay with being both genders, great. If they want to have corrective surgery, great.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:33 AM on May. 20, 2009

Some people are born with an extra chromosome so they have 2 X chromosomes and a Y chromosome so they are born as both sexes.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 10:35 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I totally agree with anon :30.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on May. 20, 2009

There are a lot of intersex people not wanting to choose a sex and feel like they shouldn't have to. Do you force them to choose even though they don't want to? Do we need an other box in the sex category? Can they switch back and forth between the two sexes?
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 10:37 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I totally agree with anon :30.

So what do you do with a person whose genetalia looks like a female, identifies as a female and finds out at 16 that she is genetically a male whose testicles are where the ovaries are and she never developed testosterone. Do you force her to be a very feminine looking male even though she is currently a gorgeous looking female because that's what her chromosomes say?
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 10:39 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I'm anon :37. LOL...I didn't know that about some people being born with an extra gene....that's crazy. In that case, I'm not sure what you would do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on May. 20, 2009

I think there are something like 70 different types of intersex disorders. I hate to call it a disorder. Something like 1 in 2000 people are born intersex though.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 10:43 AM on May. 20, 2009