Am I a hypocrite for not letting my daughter get away with some of the stuff I did when I was her age? Because I really feel like one!

Can somebody please help me?

felicia0923

Asked by felicia0923 at 10:18 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• A hypocrit is somone who says one thing and does another. That is present tense.

Everyone has made mistakes or "gotten away" with things when they were younger. Hopefully the outcome is to learn and grow from them and change the behavior. Often times many situations require healing from emotional or physical damage. By sharing your struggles and lessons learned, you have the opportunity to not only enforce the rules you establish, but to give a first hand account as to why it is so important to avoid breaking certian rules. Teens are so smart, and are so longing to know how to be successful in life. As a parent, you have the love, experience, and investment necessary to discipline and teach your teen how to navigate through life.

So no, you are not a hypocrit! :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:42 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I wish I could....I'm honestly scared beyond belief about that stage, I don't know what I'm going to do either when we get there.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:19 AM on May. 20, 2009

• No because you have been there and done that and know the outcome. Your being a parent and not a friend. Kids will learn from their mistakes but if you can save them from one you made then no. You would be one if she did do something you did and you go off the handle knowing you did the same thing. Be supportive and understanding and stay calm if she does do wrong so she feels good about coming to you instead of scared of you and your reactions. Your only a hypocrite if you go off the handle for the same things you have done. Kids will learn if you let them. Guide her but don't make her your puppet.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:24 AM on May. 20, 2009

• i know how u feel my dd tends to do things that i did when i was her age sometimes i call my mom and just say sorry for when i did this....lol. and most of the time i do what my mom did. groundation.. but i do try to understand kids sometimes do these things kids are kids. it stinks but i remeber back in the day and try to steer her in the right direction. talk to her. help her. its a hard path. im still working on it. so best of luck. maybe one day your child will call u and say hey mom remember when i did this?? im sorry. ( my mom cried cause she knew her lil girl grew up and wanted to say sorry for putting u threw hell at such and such age ) *hugs*
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:25 AM on May. 20, 2009

• No you are not. You are her parent and you don't want her to make some of the mistake that you may have made or feel that you had made. Your just protecting her from this world. Still allow her to make some mistakes so she will learn but no you are no a hypocrite, your her parent.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:26 AM on May. 20, 2009

• No it does not make you a hypocrit. You do what you think is right as a parent. You don't want them to make the same mistakes, but you do have to let them make mistakes, if that makes any sense.
    As long as it is reasonable.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:11 AM on May. 20, 2009

• You should not feel like a hypocrite. It's called learning from your mistakes and the mistakes of your parents in raising you. There is absolutely no reason why you should feel anything other than proud that you are wiser than they were. If we can't learn from our past and use it for the good of the next generation, that would be pretty screwy!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:03 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I just said this in another post,most parents are so stern, and always looking through their kids rooms,because they remember what kind of teen they were.Give your child a break,talk to him,tell him the truth about your life, you will be so surprised,this will open the doors of parent to child communication.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't say you're a hypocrite, you've been through it and know what happens, and you don't want her going through the same I'm assuming?
    I know I'd do the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 AM on May. 21, 2009