How common is it for people to use Face Book to have an affair?

My friend has been married for 10 years; with her husband for 13. Her husband recently found his ex-girlfriend on Face Book. The ex lives in different states is married too so my friend believed that they were "just catching up". Turns out he had an affair with her when a "work trip" brought the ex out this way. WTF! I guess I am naive because I actually thought people were really just using Face Book to find old friends.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• Op, it's actually very common but it's not limited to facebook. Because of the dynamics of "facebook" it does set the stage for emotional affairs if not physical ones. Whenever there is a platform to reunite with "old flames", there might be a problem. Sorry your friend is going through this.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:05 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Not all people use it to cheat. I use it to keep in touch with family and old school friends. Some use it as a dating site, its all in how you use it and what your morals are.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:34 AM on May. 20, 2009

• If your husband wants to cheat, he's going to cheat. Facebook or myspace have nothing to do with it.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 10:37 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Ya i agree with sarapurser. If a person in a relationship is gonna cheat they are gonna do it regardless of what site they are on or not on.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:42 AM on May. 20, 2009

• It seems like it would be easy to get caught - if you send the wrong kind of message, ALL your mutual friends see it!
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 10:45 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I agree with sarapuser>>>if hes going to cheat then hes going to cheat..period.
    moodymommy193

Answer by moodymommy193 at 11:36 AM on May. 20, 2009

• FAcebook is what a person makes of it, But the reality of it is that had that guy met the woman on the street and not on facebook , if she and he wanted to get together, I'm sure they would have. who said he didn't have her regular email address and hadn't been keeping in contact through the years anyway. Let's not form judgement on facebook, for we all are human and the internet has nothing to do with our decisions. it may be a help source on keeping in touch with them, but I wouldn't suggest blaming the web for cheating men or women!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Someone is going to cheat if it's in their character, facebook or not. I have my very first boyfriend as a friend on facebook and I would NEVER consider going to him to have an affair. I respect myself and my family too much! It's not in my character and I am in a happy marriage.
    night-shift-mom

Answer by night-shift-mom at 12:18 PM on May. 20, 2009

• OP here. My questions was... HOW COMMON THIS IS? Do you know anyone using FaceBook to find old flames for other than friend reasons? Would you do it yourself?

I wasn't saying FaceBook is bad...it is a pretty awesome tool to catch up with people.
    Anonymous