calling all christians.. believe

I am engaged to a non-christian. I love him very much & he makes me happy. Sadly he doesn't seem to have a open mind about GOD or the bible. any advice? And leaving him is NOT something I am going to do.
I am not even close to perfect, but I do desire a relationship with GOD. Anyway, we had sex outside of marriage & our son will be born soon. I need prayers & advice not judgement,please.

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 10:33 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If he is willing to go to church together, go....often, and pray, pray, pray, pray, pray that the Lord opens his heart and brings you peace on what to do. Be an example to him of Christs love. You can't change Him but the Lord can open his heart and prepare it. Lastly, continue to grow in the Lord, seek his guidance daily and read His word so He can work in you and through you. Prayers for you both : )
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:47 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My husband believes and I do not. We leave it at that. he doesn't force me to believe and we decided long ago it doesn't who or what you do or don't believe its the moral code you have set for yourself and the person you are that matters the most, not if you read a bible or go to church. We just don't speak on religion with one another.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:38 AM on May. 20, 2009

• If you keep trying to convince him you're right, it will only drive him away. I agree with the PP....just leave it at that and try to have a mutual understanding of each others differences.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:55 AM on May. 20, 2009

• im a non-believer, with my point of view, just dont discus religion with him, do your own thing when it comes to religion..if hes the right person for you he will respect that you believe, and you should respect that he doesn't.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 11:03 AM on May. 20, 2009

• There is a reason why the bible says not to be unequally yoked to an unbeliever. God knows what kind of a journey that will be and how it will affect your walk with Him. Many woman go into marriage with a unbeliever thinking that spouse will change and end up in a very difficult relationship.
    Obeying God's word is better than sacrifice. You have a choice and hopefully it is made via wisdom not emotion.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:07 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Just don't push your beliefs on him. You feel in love with him, not what you hope he will become. Leave it be and allow the respect and love you have for one another to grow. Don't focus on what he doesn't believe. I agree with necro, if he's the right person he will respect your beliefs and you should respect that he does not.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:07 AM on May. 20, 2009

• A relationship with God can change a person. You fell in love with him the way he is now. If he were yoked to you the way you wish he would not be the same person. He may not have even fell in love with you nor you with him. Love him for who he is. Don't expect him to change to suit your needs. If you are very uncomfortable with the way he is now then you should reconsider the relationship, otherwise just LOVE HIM.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on May. 20, 2009

• If you love him, then respect his desire to not be a Christian. That being said, he also needs to respect your beliefs as well. I would sit down with him and have a heart to heart with him. You both need to get on the same page about how religion will be handled in your home, and specifically with your child.

Don't force anything on him - but make it clear that you will be respectful of his believes, but you expect him to be just as respectful about yours.

Good luck with the new baby!! I'll keep you in my prayers for a safe and happy delivery :-)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:50 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I would say to not push your beliefs onto him. I wouldn;t even discuss he he and others around us will see we are Christians by our actions and our peace in him. KEEP GOING TO CHURCH. He doesn't have to go with you, show him Jesus' accepting love and find friends to go to church with. always be open if he says he wants to go with you for Easter or Christmas or another event. Discuss how you will raise your child and if he will be willing to allow you to take your child to church and be supportive and not sabotage your efforts.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:05 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I agree with Shaneagle 100%.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 12:17 PM on May. 20, 2009