• In the Spotlight:

Don't you think it's dangerous to assume that a "negative" behavior in someone is Satan or a demon influencing or possessing them?

Two things inspired this question...1.) reading about the "child witches" in Nigeria that are being accused of being witches and beaten, starved, and abandoned. and 2.) the post about "can a Christian have a demon inside?".

It's definitely an easy answer....could be used to explain ANYthing...but that doesn't mean it's true. What if the person is sick? What if there's a perfectly logical explanation for their behavior if you'd just ask? What if it's just a teenager being rebellious? Misinterpreting the cause will only make all of these problems worse! It really scares me that there's still people who think this way. Haven't we learned from the past?

I know everyone disagrees with the children being called witches in Nigeria....yet I still see people on here accused of being influenced by Satan. It's the same thing! You're completely disregarding what they say and assuming. Same situation. How is it different?

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 10:53 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree that it can be very dangerous when people get caught up with these ideas. On the other hand I believe that demons and satan are very real. The Bible and Jesus talk extensively about spiritual warfare and fallen angels, and I have seen them with my very eyes.

However, there are many people who wrongly give the devil credit for things he has nothing to do with. That is why I personally believe that this is a battle that is fought in the spirit, through prayer and fasting. If I believe something spritually demonic is going on, I am very careful to not go around telling people. I just bring i to the Lord and if it is true, He will show me how to pray. And if it isn't true then no harm done.

I think some people have good discernment, and some people let their imaginations get the best of them.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:13 PM on May. 20, 2009

• may Satan be with you....hail Satan!...anyways, ive always wondered that too, so i'll stick around to see the answers :)
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:59 AM on May. 20, 2009

• ITA
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:14 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Since I don't believe Satan or demons exist, I don't believe someone can be possessed. But, for those who do, I think it is more of a fear thing. They are trying to explain behavior and things that they just don't understand. And I think that some people can't graso the concept that "evil" is a part of human nature. I know there are things I have seen and heard that no one can explain naturally, but that doesn't mean that I am going to jump to the explanation of a "demon did it."
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:22 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I think it can be dangerous. There could be a metal or physical illness that goes undiagnosed and untreated. And on the other side, explaining away behaviors as demons or the devil's work removes personal responsibility, because they believe they shouldn't be held accountable for what the demon made them do. Then there are those like these children who are the victims of this fanatic thinking. I believe that people can be possessed, I have a scary story about that, but I believe it's a rare thing.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:28 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Forgot spell check...LOL I meant MENTAL illness.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:29 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I don't believe in Satan or his demons. I think what is happening in Nigeria is a very sad thing based on ignorance, and SOMEONE needs to step in and do something about this atrocity.

I DO, however, believe that SPIRIT possession is possible - and there are some real nasty ones out there. I think that sometimes, a possession is mistaken for mental illness, and the person doesn't get the help they truly need. That being said, I also believe that many people are told they have a "demon" or "evil spirit" with them, when the fact is they are schitzophrenic or have a multiple personality disorder.

So, with that, I do think it goes both ways.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:46 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Off point somewhat, but I had been violently raped in college, then attempted to commit suicide. My basketball coach actually told me after I had been out of the hospital for less than two hours, that bad things like this were happening to me because I had allowed Satan to come into my heart. Sweet isn't he! He was a religious Zealot who believed that he could speak in tongues, and other such nonsense.
    I believe that when religion or spirituality is taken before an educated approach, that many "possessions" are inaccurate. To many times when something is not understood medically it is mistaken for possession.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:08 PM on May. 20, 2009

• negative behavior is a choice just like positive behavior. We all have the right to our choices and behavior is a learned patterned....no demons, no devil! thats a smoke screen used as an excuse..
    Anonymous

• Well said Ashley! On top of that I'll raise you an accountability issue. Plenty of things my children have done to me I could blame on posession. PLENTY. They're both mentally ill. I could have taken them down for an exorcism, or I could have taken them to the shrink. Yes, I picked #2. I feel it would have been extremely wrong for me to not seek treatment. From a doctor.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 1:08 PM on May. 20, 2009