I just found out that my 12 yr old son has been trying cigarettes

a boy he hangs out with offered them to him and he tried them a couple of times now, he was punished the last time for doing it, now i find out he has tried it again, i am not sure how to handle the situation........i could stop him from hanging with this boy........but the world if full of people who smoke, what should i do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well, first, I can tell you what you shouldn't do. Don't yell and scream at him. Don't make him smoke a box of ciggs (my father did that to me). The harder you push the more they will push back. Don't be angry; be concerned about his health. I think you should sit down with him and be very open and honest about your feelings on the subject. Print out pictures of people who have suffered from lung cancer. Maybe even take him to the hospital to meet some of these people. Make him see that you understand smoking seems like the right thing to do right now but the long term affects will kill him. He won't be able to play sports because he will be out of breathe, it makes you stink so say goodbye to talking to girls, etc. Get on his level. Good luck!
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 11:03 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I agree with the not pushing and getting angry, it will just make him do it more. Get some pamphlets about smoking and leave them around for him to see. Be concerned about his health and not punishing him.. You just have to make him understand how bad smoking is for his health and others.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:23 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I agree, don't yell at him. I started smoking at 13 because of a boy I liked smoked. Once we broke up I stopped. Kids will try things. Let him know what it can do to your health. Also let him know how addictive it is and how hard it is to quit.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:07 PM on May. 20, 2009

• In additon to explaining it is bad for his health, you could also give him tips about how to turn down cigarettes. Brainstorm on some answers - like saying he has asthma and allergies, like it makes him sick/vomit, ... or buy him some cologne and he can tell his friends 'no way... I don't want to cover up the smell of my cologne...'. You can also suggest he not go to the place at the time the smoking usually happens. In our area, the jr high smokers go to a park near the school so I have told my kids they aren't ever allowed there. If it is happening after school, is there an activity he could enroll in to avoid meeting up with the smokers?

Good luck!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 6:51 PM on May. 20, 2009