What should I do, step 1,2, and 3?

My kids are not doing good in school, they don't study, they don't clean. Help me nip it in the bud, what can I do right now to change it? I am tired of it, but they always want, want, and want.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• establish a routine homework/study time every day. I didn't have this as a kid, but wish I had. An hour or two every day, not right after school, but after dinner or something, you know?

GL. Hope that helps.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:58 AM on May. 20, 2009

• oh, and for cleaning, offer rewards for rooms kept clean, dishes cleaned after dinner, etc. Something simple like a dollar allowance, versus no allowance if it doesn't get done.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:59 AM on May. 20, 2009

• You need to get your whole family on a schedule, including yourself and your husband or SO if he is living in the home. Dinner at a certain time every night, homework at a certain time, cleaning their rooms for so many minutes at a certain time... Write it down so you don't forget, and stick to it. Work out the kinks as you go till you get a system that works best. Reward them if they do it vs. no reward if they don't do it.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:25 PM on May. 20, 2009

• spank the crap out of them, tell them what they are/aren't gonna do and don't take no for an answer, they don't listen take everything they own, buy funky clothes and make them wear them to school if they won't listen(provided you don't have uniforms), tell them you will find any way possible to embarass them if they don't listen. Don't give them anything unless they earn it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:10 PM on May. 20, 2009

• When you spank a child, you are sending the message that sometimes violence (striking another human is an act of violence) is the solution to a problem.
    For many families, a system of rewards works better; kids earning TV time for cleaning their rooms; earning cash for getting As and Bs. You need to find a system that fits with your philosphy of child rearing. You may also need some help from a neutral 3rd party, like a family counselor; there are many around who have a sliding scale and will only charge what you can afford.
    Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:26 PM on May. 20, 2009

• for bad grades and not helping with chores, take things away such as time with friends, phone, computer and tv.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:45 PM on May. 20, 2009

• praise and reward good grades (a's & b's) and helping with chores. that way they feel good about themself for doing what they are supposed to. a simple thank you and a hug is good enough for helping with chores. and a little extra allowence for good grades.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:47 PM on May. 20, 2009