Dealing with ringworm on household dog? URGENT

My vet cant see me until next week, I truely believe my dog has ringworm, and by the looks of it, she could have had it for a couple weeks now. How many people recommend me going through the trouble of renting a steam cleaner, and steam cleaning the entire house? And I havent noticed it on myself or my son. I have never delt with anything like this before, all advise apreciated????

cloud144

Asked by cloud144 at 11:10 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Pets

• my husband had ringworm at one time got it form a hotel swimming pool. Thank god he was TDY and we weren't with him. Yes its contagious. Take your dog to a 24 hour emergency vet let them know you think he/she has ringworm and you have young children in the house. Once treatment starts the fungus will not be as contagious. My husband fought it for several weeks and none of us caught it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:14 AM on May. 20, 2009

• A cheap but effective treatment for ringworm is athlete's foot cream. (Your alternative is a liquid taken orally and it's more expensive) if you can see quarter sized rings on the dog's skin, and it is dry and scaly, then chances are you are right. Apply athlete's foot cream to the infected areas.

As for the household, if you are right and your dog does have ringworm, yes, I'd advise renting a steam-cleaner for carpeting and furniture, bleach non-porous surfaces with a 10-1 bleach solution (10 parts water, 1 part bleach). Soak your children's toys in a tub of bleach, or wash whatever can be washed in the washer/dryer. Bedding and stuff like that should be washed, and cleaned with bleach if possible.

I'm not an expert, but I worked at an animal shelter and dealt with ringworm on a day to day basis. If you have a uv light turn out the lights and hold the uv light over the dog, ringworm shows up candy apple green.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:19 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I live in Japan Oversees, the only vet that wont cost me 80 dollars just go in is on base. they dont give a shit.....
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 11:21 AM on May. 20, 2009

• really we're military and I have always used base vets and gotten in for emergency care within two days. Call again.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:35 AM on May. 21, 2009