Giving baby rice cereal for the first time

Hi moms!

My daughter is 4 mos. old and the pedi says she's ready for rice cereal. He said to give her 1 tsp for her first feedings.

Any advice on moving to rice cereal? Do I give her both the cereal plus her regular bottle of formula (she usually takes 5 oz.)? What kind of consistency should I make the cereal?

Thanks!

deereporter

Asked by deereporter at 11:13 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hi!
    Umm well your going to want to mix it with either formula or babywater, make it to where its not to runny but then not to thick either..you will be able to tell.
    Depending on your baby you can either feed it to her before her bottle or after.
    I would feed my daughter her cereal and then her bottle ( 6oz ) but now shes just wanting her bottle..so then I give her her cereal afterwards until I can tell shes full by her keeping her mouth shut or just simply not interested anymore! hope that kinnda helps! Good Luck!
    v_serenil

Answer by v_serenil at 11:42 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My best advice would be to keep the cereal close in case your lo doesn't like the runny texture you can just add a little more. I followed the directions on the box, but my dd didn't like it runny so I kept adding cereal to it until she would eat it.

Don't get discouraged if she doesn't take to it right away, she'll need some practice. You could even practice giving her bites with the spoon with nothing on them so she gets used to the feel of the spoon in her mouth with no big gooey cereal spills.

At this age I would make a regular sized bottle, feed her half of it, then feed her the cereal followed by the other half of the bottle.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:54 AM on May. 20, 2009

• You should wait a few more months and start with something else. Cereal is just preservatives and fake iron. It has no nutrition, just constipation. A 4 mos old's stomach isn't ready for solids anyway. Baby's primary source of nutrition should be from breast milk or formula. So when you start, always give milk first, then offer a little healthy solids in addition. So just wait til AT LEAST 6 months (says the AAP and WHO). It's healthier to wait longer and start with something naturally good like produce.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:00 PM on May. 20, 2009

• jus1jess, AAP actually recommends starting solids at 4-6 months:

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm

Op, chances are solids at 4 months won't harm your baby, especially if your doctor is recommending it. He knows your baby better than we do, and you know your baby best of all so do what you feel is right. Many moms (including myself) started cereal at 4 months and our children and just as healthy as the moms who started later.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:45 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Every reputable site says that 6 months is a minimum, not a maximum by which you must have already started solids. Cereal MIGHT not hurt your baby, but it isn't going to help at all. Your pediatrician isn't a nutritionist. Rice cereal was made for profit, not nutrition.
    Anonymous

• It does seem young. Mine started solid food at 5 1/2 months because they were trying to eat my food all the time. Why does the doctor think she needs it?
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 2:01 PM on May. 20, 2009

• http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm

Anon, this is a reputable site and it says 4-6 months.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 2:16 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Thanks for everyone's responses. I've always found CafeMom to be a great resource.

While I can appreciate a good debate, my question was not whether or not we should start my daughter on solids at this point. We've already discussed this with her pediatrician and decided to move forward with introducing her to small servings (only 1 tsp) of solids.

Rather, I was looking for some advice on how to best give it to her -- between / before / after her bottle; the consistency; etc.

My baby has a healthy appetite! She has a bottle about every 3 hours -- even throughout the night (still not sleeping through -- ugh!), and typically drinks 35-40 oz. in a 24-hour period.
    deereporter

Answer by deereporter at 2:36 PM on May. 20, 2009