Could there theoretically be extended *formula*-feeding?

We always hear about extended breastfeeding. But for some reason it's not weird if moms give their kids the stage 2 formula or Pediasure for years after their first birthday.

I dunno. I was just thinking about it, lol.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 11:14 AM on May. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• My guess would be because breastfeeding is free versus formula being expensive?
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 11:23 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I was wondering about something like this too--a friend of mine was saying that she had to get her toddler off formula and onto milk and he hated milk so they were battling it out. But I didn't know that there was a specific age that they couldn't/shouldn't have formula anymore. I mean, it's made from cow's milk (usually) and just has more stuff added in.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 11:40 AM on May. 20, 2009

• thats funny...

we give stage 2 formula from 9 months until about 13-14 months.... then milk, my 3 year old gets pediasure because he weighs so little....
    BTW,, i dont think formula is that expensive... i mean compared to free its something but not too bad... but for those that have malfunctioning boobies its all we have
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:58 AM on May. 20, 2009

• It is not considered werid because you can't really tell what that kid is drinking in the sippy cup and the visual of an older child latched on bothers so many people in the US. My 23 month old is still nursing away and her brother weaned at 18 months while I was pregnant.
    Anonymous

• it's something that would come out of pocket because WIC won't pay after 1 year but i don't see where it would be harmful either.
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 1:16 PM on May. 20, 2009

• To me it is just an indication that the formula companies KNOW that babies need to be breastfed for the first two years at least. Just give your kids the best stuff ladies. You'll never regret it. You might regret not breastfeeding...I know I regret not giving my oldest two the best because I was ignorant and selfish.
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 1:52 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My niece is still on pediasure she is almost 2 it's because she can not eat solids yet

Anonymous

• yeah i think it helps them grow
    mom2jade

Answer by mom2jade at 3:08 PM on May. 20, 2009

• There are many children who are still on formula well past their first birthday, or even their second or third or fourth, and so on. Typically they are because they have some type of GI or neurological disease or disorder, or possibly serious protein intolerances or food allergies, but no matter the reason, why does anyone care what another person is feeding their child and for how long? Don't we all have enough problems, why borrow someone else's?
    Anonymous

• Since I have feeding issues with my special needs son, he is still on formula partially. Unless recommended by the doctor, regular formula should not be given after 18 months.

Stage 2 formula and Pediasure don't have the same nutrients as formula. They are specifically made for toddlers and young children. I don't see how that can be considered odd. Of course, I don't think that a 2 year old BFing is odd either. Now a 5 year old BFing, that's just plain weird to me.

Anonymous