Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My gf's ex wants to take his three kids out of the country on a cruise. My friend does not want them to go . Does she have the legal right to say no?What can she do?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (17)
  • Then need permission to leave the state never mind the country. She needs to talk to an attorney. But why does she not want them to go on a vacation with their father? That's probably the issue not that they will be on a cruise.


    Answer by Chrissy629 at 11:32 AM on May. 20, 2009

  • Do they share joint custody? If so, she's probably out of luck.

    Answer by LuvBug3 at 11:24 AM on May. 20, 2009

  • It depends on what it says in the divorce decree honestly. If she is that automate about it, she is going to have to get an attorney.

    Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:24 AM on May. 20, 2009

  • Depends, if they have a custody agreement through the courts then yes he could petition not to let them go. Some divorce decrees say that kids can't leave the state or country unles both parties agree. But it wil take time and money, so unless he is up to the fight and has the time it may or may not work out.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 20, 2009

  • She has custody and he sees them every other weekend. So what happens then?

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on May. 20, 2009

  • It depends. I know, that doesn't help. When my ex & I were in the process of divorcing, neither of us could take the children out of the state without the permission of the other parent. Now that we are divorced, we each have the right to travel with the children as long as the other parent knows & has all the travel info. Your friend needs to check her custody order. There may be a clause that says they can go to mediation if they do not agree on something. The other thing is that BOTH parents are required to sign for passports & have to give written permission for a child to leave the country so if she refuses that, it might prevent them from traveling. Why does she not want them to go? Is the Dad irresponsible or a flight risk? Sounds like they really need to talk this over & make the best decision for the children.

    Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:28 AM on May. 20, 2009

  • She could always say NO. Ex perhaps might think that it would be better to follow her wishes than had to call the lawyer and arrange another court date.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on May. 20, 2009

  • i can understand her POV but really what is the big deal? i am assuming all of the kids have passports. if they are leaving the country, even on a cruise, they will need them. anyway, it depends on the state rule and guidelines. in my state i can refuse to let my ex take my daughter even out of state. if i do allow him to take her he has to give me their schedule, where they are staying and who is going. she needs to check her state guidlelines on out of country travel for the non-cutsodial parent. if it falls in his parenting time there might be nothing she can do. but as far as i know the other parent has to get some sort of permission before taking the children out of state or out of the country.

    Answer by JessieK79 at 11:29 AM on May. 20, 2009

  • His new wife stalks her.So that is why.She does not want them to go overseas with her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 20, 2009

  • His new wife has over 9 police reports against her. She is very insecure of her new husband hooking up with my friend. So she does not want the kids overseas with her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on May. 20, 2009

Next question in Relationships
Am i just being a bitch?

Next question overall (Health)
Are you worried about Swine Flu?

Recently Bumped in Life & Home
I'm back!

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN