Why doesn't my baby like sippy cups?

He is 9 months and I have been trying sippys for... probably almost 2 months. I got EVERY kind I could find, he chews the spout and then decides he doesn't like it. I finally discovered that he will drink from a straw, so I got the cup that's for 2 yr olds with the straw thing that pops out of the top. A lot of people say "well you aren't supposed to give sippy cups till 1 yr", but he won't drink juice from his bottle so now what? Should I give him the straw cup, not give him juice, or push the sippy?

OwensMama824

Asked by OwensMama824 at 11:25 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drinking out of a straw is great! It's much better for oral development than a sippy cup.

"Get rid of sippy-cups! Sippy-cups can promote tongue thrust, which causes the tongue to push forward when swallowing, can cause dental problems, and can promote the development of deviant speech production. Instead, use a cup with a lid and plastic straw."

http://www.floridaspeech.com/services/oral_motor.htm

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 3:42 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Just give your baby time. My DD is 9 months and doesn't like a sippy cup either (or even a bottle). Everyone I have talked to says a baby will eventually learn how to use it. But, you're the mom and you know what's best for your son.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:27 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Is there a reason why you're giving him juice? There's no need to give babies juice. It has a lot of sugar in it! But anyway, my son is almost 9 months is also just chews on the sippy cup. I just give him a little water in it and let him explore it. Eventually he'll start using it, i'm sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 20, 2009

• The straw cup is fine! dont listen to who ever told you to wait, thats just plain silly. If he likes it let him use it! My son loves the straw cup and I gave it to him at 11 months. they like it because its kinda similiar to a bottle if you have the same non spill ones i have. They have to suck on it and make the same shape with their mouth as a bottle. But it does teach the tounge to do new things. Keep giving him a sippy cup and just let him play with it. When hes ready (or thirsty) he will drink.
    Frogger33

Answer by Frogger33 at 11:46 AM on May. 20, 2009

• My son is almost 11 months old and he did the same thing. He would drink juice from the bottle just not the sip cup. I would just give your baby time and he will come around to it. I also did this too I don't know if it will help you, but I introduced the sip cup and put more juice in it then water, and with his bottle I slowly started putting more water so he decided that his sip cup had the good stuff and once he started drinking from it I started to dilute it again and he's been drinking from the sippy ever since! Good luck and don't worry!
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 12:09 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My son wouldn't use the sippy cup correctly til 15 months old - and I started him at 7 months - not sure why but I did the same things as you - midaswell start the normal cup also at this time -he got them both at the same time -now he can do either and it works great.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:33 PM on May. 20, 2009