Help! My Two 1/2 yr old is constantly waking up and coming in our room.

Our son has always been an early riser but never had a problem going to bed or nap time until around the time my daughter was born (3 mths). We have a 2 bdrm condo, so she has to sleep in the same room with us. I don't know if he's jealous or what but he comes in the room a few times a night and last around 5, ready to go for the day. I wouldn't mind if he fell back asleep, but he thinks it's play time. When we try to put him back to bed, he screams and throws crazy fits, and I don't know what to do. I've tried a gate, but he screams more and tries to break it down. I've tried adjusting his bed time to later, but no luck there. Now at naps even, he will just stay awake for almost 2 HOURS before he falls asleep, no matter what time I try to adjust it too. He's getting about 9 hrs TOTAL now, and that's not enough. It's hard on everyone since he gets crankier and crankier as the day goes on. I'm at a loss here, any suggestions?

JacksonsMamma

Asked by JacksonsMamma at 11:34 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• btw, his "schedule" (lol) is nap time at 1pm, bed time at 8:15p. We've tried earlier and later for both but still with the craziness, this seems to work best.
    JacksonsMamma

Answer by JacksonsMamma at 11:36 AM on May. 20, 2009

• at around 2 1/2 my 3 year old cut out his naps totally....

but also it could just be a phase.. he has been waking up at 6 am for the last month... and he normally wakes at 9...

what if you give him a "snack" and put him back in his room
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:50 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Thanks for the feedback 2cute! Do you mean give him a snack to take back to his room when he wakes up in the wee hours of the morning? I never thought of anything like that, but it's worth a shot!
    JacksonsMamma

Answer by JacksonsMamma at 12:37 PM on May. 20, 2009

• he mite be gust wanting to be with the new baby try letting them sharing a room dont move the crib in there at first try it at nap time with a play pin and if it work move the crib in and if not you dont have to move any thin big i hope it all works out for you and you family
    Alexis_a_2004

Answer by Alexis_a_2004 at 1:02 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I give my son snacks if he is up really early- he barely likes to sleep at it is!

Also, I have put up a baby gate because it got beyond ridiculous. He has enough books and toys to entertain himself along with a cup of milk and whatever food he is given.

He protested initially but now everything is fine.

You may question the idea of the gate but it gives me peace of mind to know he isn't playing with the stove or into something electrical etc.
    Awakened1

Answer by Awakened1 at 9:00 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Thank you Alexis and Awakened1 for your advice. I might try putting her in his room in a few weeks, after she's sleeping solidly through the night. Snacks in his room may be something I'd try as well, I hadn't thought of that! And no worries Awakened1, I have tried the gate too, no judgment here. If they are determined to get out at 5am when it is just too early, better keep them safe than be sorry. I also was just given the advice to get a Tot Clock that shines different colors for night time and day time that I want to try, if anyone reading this is having a similar issue :). Thanks again!
    JacksonsMamma

Answer by JacksonsMamma at 10:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009