how do u potty train a hard headed 2yr old?

she has gone potty in the big potty before jus is taking her on time to do it when she wants to. but when she poops she takes her pull up off and smears it every where. HELP!

hadassah87

Asked by hadassah87 at 11:40 AM on May. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In my experience ---- ya don't. They'll do it when they're good & ready. The more ya push it, the more they resist.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:43 AM on May. 20, 2009

• Have you tried any kind of incentive? My s-i-l used a sticker chart with her son. One sticker for peeing, two for pooping. Once he got up to 20 stickers, she took him to the dollar store and let him pick out a toy. She did this for two months and then told him he was a big boy and didn't need stickers anymore!
    SuperMom2MandM

Answer by SuperMom2MandM at 11:53 AM on May. 20, 2009

• I had one son that just decided one day that he was going to be potty trained - easiest ever. I had 2 boys that weren't so easy, but I told them they could pick out whatever kind of big boy underwear they wanted - but they had to show me they could use the potty chair. Took a couple weeks, but my oldest got his Sponge Bob underwear and my youngest got his Transformer underwear.
    shaklee_momma

Answer by shaklee_momma at 12:26 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Oh, sorry! That is a worse mess than just changing a diaper, isn't it?

Would you mind if I just laid out the below steps, even though you probably have been doing all of this?

1. Remove all "negative" expressions and tension from the tone of your voice when working on the potty training. Otherwise, she will either become resistant or afraid...associating bad things with bodily functions.

2. To keep yourself calm (smile), do not work on this when you are in a big rush to do something else. Kids pick up on it and will "rush" off, also.

3. Don't make her sit on the big toilet...it is very frightening to a child: they are so little, it is so wide and they literally can fall through. Hard to relax to go potty for B.M. in that state of tension.

4. Little potty chair that sets low on the floor is very helpful.

5. Keep it low key...if she goes, fine...reward her. If not, fine... "You'll do it soon!"
    Mom401

Answer by Mom401 at 7:25 PM on May. 20, 2009

• P.S. from Mom401

6. Observe how long it takes her to have to go to the bathroom after eating certain meals; try to schedule "practice" times at those moments, hoping to catch it. Once she gets very surprised to succeed, it might be fun for her to see if it happens again. Clapping hands and cheering together could be neat. Party time on the potty. Smile.

You'll get it...don't despair. The lady who said one of her boys learned it super fast: my kid did, also. Weeks of training not needed-- he analyzed the situation quickly at age 2 and 1/2 and decided it was an efficient transition.

Strong-willed. My kid HAD to have a solid list of reasons for the benefits of anything before changing. The Choleric personality kids HATE change...they don't see why things cannot stay the same forever. Not efficient to them. Try some calm, grown-up conversations away from potty. She might be gifted, not rebellious.
    Mom401

Answer by Mom401 at 7:34 PM on May. 20, 2009