For the moms with Etsy pages, please help!

For those of you who have Etsy pages, do you have to become a legit business if you're selling things via Etsy or some other site? My mom is going to help start up something, and Etsy would be the easiest way to sell what I make. Just wondering if you need to become a legit business and report what you make and everything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• You "should" apply for a business license in your city, and state. You should report your sales and pay taxes on them. Thing is.. most of us dont. Because it costs too much, #1.. and #2.. unless shes making more than $5000 a year (I THINK thatsthe amount.. and most people on Etsy make less than zero, lol!) they let it slide and wont investigate. NOW.. thats not sound legal advice, so dont take it that way.. I just THINK thats it.

etsy is going through some hard times right now.. even the best of sellers are suffering. sales have been slow, I went from making 20 sales a month to nothing for the past 3 months because of the economy.. so explore other options too.

Anonymous

• I think it depends upon your personal Etsy site whether things are slow (not on topic, but responding to the last poster.) I have sold three times as much this month as last month on Etsy.

You need to look into the rules for your area; each state has different rules as well as sometimes counties and cities.
    lauraslefthook

Answer by lauraslefthook at 6:41 PM on May. 27, 2009