Have you read that there is a new break through in Autism research?

"The newly discovered autism-risk gene, identified by authors as CACNA1G, ...... is responsible for regulating the flow of calcium into and out of cells. Nerve cells in the brain rely on calcium to become activated, and research suggests that imbalances in the mineral can result in the overstimulation of neural connections and create developmental problems, such as autism and even epilepsy, which is also a common feature of autism."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090520/hl_time/08599189975600

Do you think that with this news, there will be less of a worry about vaccinations that supposedly 'cause' Autism? If you have an Autistic child, does this change how you feel about vaccinations or Autism in general? Does it give you hope that there may one day be a way to 'cure' or improve the Autism Spectrum?

*This is not meant to be a vacc vs non-vacc debate, just a discussion about Autism, its possible causes and cures. Thanks!

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 12:19 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is fantastic!! Any breakthrough is good news.

I've always been very neutral as far as vaccinations go. I've never really believed that vaccs. were the "cause" of autism. It's human nature to want to cast blame.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:24 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Eh. Just because YAHOO! News decided to post in on their main site as "news", doesn't mean the fight is now over. So they found a gene that makes boys more susceptible than girls. WOW!!!! Now can they tell me WHY? That's right, nope, they cannot. So as nice as that sounds, they haven't really done much to convince me that any "breakthrough" has been made.
    ALso, it doesn't change my mind about vaxxing. It is highly evident that they play a major role in not only autism, but other disorders/probs as well. Common sense.
    Anonymous

• ....oh and to add: I don't think they cause autism, but I think they act as a catalyst with all the toxic ingredients.....
    Anonymous

• Actually this may mean that vaccinating may be the culprit. Mercury can imbalance the levels of calcium reuptake. It very well may mean that calcium reuptake is somehow damaged in these kids and the mercury sends them over the autism edge so to speak.
    Google mercury uptake and calcium absorbtion and calcium absorbtion interference.
    Be prepared it is a long boring research project. I was reading until my eyes crossed.
    Anonymous

• Anon...No one said the fight is over. Its just gaining some ground in figuring it out. And there is no more mercury in current vaccines than there is in a peice of regular fish. Yet Autism still happens. And the one small study that got everyone so worried about vaccs in the first place only studied 10 kids and (numbers may be off a bit) 90% of the original MDs that published the study retracted their belief that it was the vaccination...

Anyway...I asked politely to focus on the topic and NOT vacc vs non-vacc...why poke at a sensitive subject?

You seem so angry about the subject when all I'm trying to do is spread some good news...Why would anyone ever be mad at progress???

Silly, Anon...
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 1:19 PM on May. 20, 2009

• You must watch TV a lot! The gov and media keep making people think that parents of autistic children blame the vaccines.

*Parents blame vaccines for Autism-like symptoms.

*Right know the government is working on treating cases of Autism with heavy metal toxicity. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT00811083

*Heavy metals including mercury affect the digestive systems these if the reason why some parents opt to special diets for their children.

Now about the findings I hope that it helps to find a cure for Autism.

Anonymous

• No, I read a lot, actually...

I'm suggesting that for the parents that DO think the link between Autism and vaccs, this may be a factor in changing their thinking?

And the fact that in my personal experiance, the majority of parents that have Autistic children think vaccs caused it.

I know there are other possiblities...

Plus I also heard that one of the biggest Autism/non-vacc supporter, Jennie McCarthy, that her son is now showing signs of his Autism improving/being cured. But I haven't heard if she has changed her stance on vaccs or if she was trying to help him by altering his diet, etc... Which would probably be a good stepping stone for other Autistic parents to try altered diets and maybe start a case study with children and thier calcium levels, etc...
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:33 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Fulltext Preview (Small, Large)

Image of the first page of the fulltext

Anonymous

• I wonder if this is a bit like kidney stones: there are a lot of different reasons you could end up with one of those painful rocks.

But if doctors can help eliminate one reason, then that's going to help a lot of people, and I think it's great.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:10 PM on May. 20, 2009

• The fact that so much research is being and has been done on the study of Autism is amazing. Not sure what their is to argue about.
    suchbigwords

Answer by suchbigwords at 3:14 PM on May. 20, 2009