Still not walking

My daughter just turned 14 months and still isnt walking! When should I worry? I hold her hands and try to get her to walk and she still isnt interested. She is an amazing crawler and seems to feel its working well enough for her so why walk? What do I do! Thanks!

SarahsMom08

Asked by SarahsMom08 at 12:21 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was in your situation. My son waited until 15 months to walk. But at 13 months, I took him to the pediatrician to get his legs and feet checked to make sure there was nothing wrong with his muscles or bones. The pediatrician said that some kids have restrained muscle growth or bone growth and cause it to be painful when they put pressure on their legs. If you are worried, I would take your child to a pediatrician. But your LO could be like my LO. Just not comfortable with themselves and walking. They are more comfortable crawling.

Good Luck
    April
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:29 PM on May. 20, 2009

• She will do it in her own time. I wouldn't worry but if it just doesnt feelright to you then talk to her pediatrician and ask if there is anything wrong. I doubt there is but it would make you feel better.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 12:24 PM on May. 20, 2009

• she probably knows she can get places faster by cralwing. I noticed that with my son - he wanted to walk but just got frustrated and got down and crawled. he probably did the walking with his hands and along things for a good 2-3 months before he decided he was ready to giving walking a shot and he was a great and early crawler!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:25 PM on May. 20, 2009

• my kids started walking anywhere from 11 months to 17 months. 2 of my kids started walking around 14 months, 1 at 11 months, and 1 at 17 months. The one at 17 months went through pt, but just got up and started walking one day after always walking on his knees. Every kid is so different and develop at their own pace. If you are really concerned, you can always contact your pediatrician to see what he/she thinks and suggests.
    shaklee_momma

Answer by shaklee_momma at 12:30 PM on May. 20, 2009

• i had a hard time to get my daughter to walk to but i gust had her around kids her age that where walking and in no time she was walking and now is doing good

i hope the best for you and you family

Alexis_a_2004

Answer by Alexis_a_2004 at 12:49 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My son didn't walk until 16 1/2 months. He was a late crawler too (started two days before he turned 1). If you're concerned, as your dr but if she's doing ok otherwise, I'd just give her more time.
    Anonymous

• My daughter was born with low muscle tone and took longer to crawl. She's 18mos now and just taking 4-5 steps at a time. Some kids who don't have a medical issue take thier time too. I would encourage it, but not force it. If she's two and still not trying, then you may want to talk to your pediatrician about physical therapy.
    irockhardkorps

Answer by irockhardkorps at 2:27 PM on May. 20, 2009