Should I switch daycares....again?

My kids are ages 4.5 & 1.5. My oldest son went to a daycare from the time he was 5-mos. to 2.5 yrs. We then switched him to another daycare that was closer to our home. When my second son was born, he went to the same daycare until they were almost 4 years & 9-months. I accepted a flexible, work from home job, so we took them out of daycare.
I then accepted a promotion at work and needed to put them back in daycare. Our previous provider did not have any open spots, and we were desperate. I found a very nice, loving provider that was closeby and enrolled them there. We have begun to discover that this provider is not delivering on her promises of a preschool curriculum, low #'s, etc. She has 11 kids in her care and never seems to "get to" preschool stuff. I have now found a NEW daycare run by an Early Childhood teacher. I feel awful for taking my kids away from their daycare friends AGAIN - what would you do?

CJandTylersmom

Asked by CJandTylersmom at 12:35 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• How important is that curriculum to their development. It is a matter of education or socialization. Children are resilient and will make new friends. If you are adamant about the education you should move them.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:40 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Nothing can replace the stability of mommy. I would have most definitly declined the promotion. I suggest that you reconsider, because all they really want and need is you.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:57 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Thanks for your replies - in reference to "squish's" comment, I actually never thought it was a good situation because I still had to work while they were home with me. I was constantly saying "just a second honey, I need to send this e-mail before we can play". They weren't getting the attention from me that they needed. Work load started to increase even before taking the promotion, so I needed to find daycare anyway. But, I DO agree with you.....
    CJandTylersmom

Answer by CJandTylersmom at 1:00 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I would switch. 11 kids and 1 care provider? Some 4.5 year olds are in kindergarten. I have a 4.5 year old in Montessori and she's reading, writing and adding while skip counting her 10's and 100's. The 1.5 year old just needs friends and play time right now.

Not sure where you're at, but we have experienced good home care and poor center care and I really like Kindercare which is nation wide (we've been with a TX center and a CA center). It's fundamentally like regular schools and they keep their numbers low and dont' employ teenagers. They have a preschool and kindergarten program. If Montessori hadn't worked out, our 4.5 year old would be here. Our 1.5 year old is in here and we all have had a greate experience.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:24 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Is staying at home something that you would like to work towards? Because it is totally possible on practically every budget. The first step is to really take a good look at your finances. How much are you really paying just to work? You have to factor in the costs: daycare, car & gas, work clothes, food costs, etc. By staying at home, I am actually making money for our family. Here's why: I make most of our food from scratch, we have only one car, I shop at cheap stores or thrift stores for our clothing. We also tithe, and give to another charity, relizing that all our money is a gift from God alone. Recently I also got a bread machine from a garage sale, and it is a HUGE money saver, on top of being healther for you too! We buy food in bulk, and I use cupons or shop the sales at grocery stores. We also have a local farmers market that I recently started using for produce, which is cheaper and better!
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:27 PM on May. 20, 2009

• i would switch if i were you. its more important for your 4 year old to be somewhere that actually incorporates a time of learning into the day.

You can always get together with the moms of those other kids so they will still be able to spend time with their friends.

I think its rude that people are bringing up about how you need to consider being a stay at home mom again. If that was really an option I'm sure you would have mentioned it in your post. Then again, that's just my opinion.
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 4:45 PM on May. 20, 2009

• beautifulinlove:

You never know what the situation really is. What if someone is looking for a way to become a stay at home or work at home mom? What if they feel that they have to work, even if they don't? It is not rude to give an opinion in a nice and encouraging way. You and I both do not know what her options really are, and she always has the option to take what opinions she likes and ignor what she doesn't find helpful.
    squish

Answer by squish at 7:24 PM on May. 20, 2009

• This sounds like a really hard decision to make. You are weighing having a caretaker your kids have bonded to and become used to versus having them get a good education. Is there anyway you could give them both by being home? I know that it can be a very hard decision to make because it's scary to lose one income, but it is so worth it. My husband and I have three kids and we make it on $28,000 a year. It can be done. If there is absolutely no way, like if you are a single mother, I would leave them with the caretaker they have bonded too. Your daughter can catch up in kindergarten. They need whatever stability they have.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 10:26 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I would switch them. Honestly, you don't want her to not be prepared when Kindergarten comes.

Squish- you aren't making money by staying at home.. I work part time and I still make things from scratch, coupon clip, and shop at second hand stores/ goodwill. You can't make money by being a SAHM.. that's called saving money. I agree with beautifulinlove, it seems sort of rude to tell her to stay home when she's just asking about daycare. Not every mom is making minimum wage, so sometimes it really is worth it to work, and some people enjoy working.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:28 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I'm really offended at the posts suggesting you stay home. That said, I think 4 is still really young for academics. My child is also at a Montessori and learning a lot, but it's just what he likes to do. Some kids are still more play-focused at this age. You could easily prepare him for reading and math by buying him workbooks and working on the weekends with him. I think if he's happy and has friends at his current daycare, I wouldn't move him. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on May. 21, 2009