Cloth diapers or pull-ups?

I have been cloth diapering my son since he was about 8 months old, now he is over two (almost 28 months) and we are starting to potty train. He will go on the potty when I ask him, but he does not tell me when he has to go and I'm not pushing him, I'm letting him go at his own speed. It's a pain to get him to stand up on the potty, then take off his cloth diaper wait for him to pee, then have him lay down to put it back on. So I think that pull ups would be easier, but I already have the cloth diapers and wouldn't have to spend any more money. Plus I heard from someone that cloth diapers don't absorb as fast so they actually help more more training than pull-ups, but who knows how reliable that is, so any ideas, please?

Harrisonsmommie

Asked by Harrisonsmommie at 12:50 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I still think you should consider going right into underpants for potty training. I say that because: 1. you're used to cleaning cloth diapers so underpants shouldn't be that much different/more work and 2. pull-ups are in my opinion nothing but glorified diapers (not to mention they're expensive)

My twins are 2 1/2 and I'm just starting training with the one who is ready. For now he's still in his regular diaper and we're putting him on the potty throughout the day (he's had one success so far). The next step is to go right into underpants during the day and a diaper at nap/night time.

He's going to have accidents no matter what. He probably still does not yet fully understand the signals his body sends when he has to go (totally normal) and you're right not to push him. Think about it, he has to understand what his body is telling him, stop what he's doing, find you, go to the potty etc.
    Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:32 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Oh, one more thing, he still pees in his diapers about 3 or more times a day, when I don't catch him in time, so underwear are out of the question, thanks guys!
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 12:52 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Underwear. There's no other way to potty train IMO.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:49 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Pull ups are expensive and will definitely prolong potty training. We used them on my second child and it took almost a year to toilet train her, as opposed to my first child, where it took only a week in underpants. I've also heard that experienced daycare workers will tell you the same thing. Avoid pull ups at all costs!
    3are_a_blessing

Answer by 3are_a_blessing at 3:06 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Thank you all for your input. I'm still worried about underwear, because then when he wets, it will get all over his clothes and the furniture and he definintly isn't ready to be on the potty full time, since he only pees when I say "Do you need to go potty"
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 3:18 PM on May. 20, 2009

• If he isn't ready to do it full time, then he isn't ready. Period.

Either that, or you're just not interested enough yet.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:32 PM on May. 20, 2009

• There are cloth training pants....google them. I dont have the direct links, but this is what I will use when I potty train my son. He is currently in disposables, but I thought the cloth trainers would help him feel more like he is wearing big boy underwear. It pulls on and off just like a pull up would. Also, I have heard that pull ups can hinder potty training because they are the same thing as a diaper.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:48 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Maybe he isn't ready yet but I would still use the cloth diapers, you already have them and just look at the money you already saved by using them. Why waste your $$ on pull-ups. Good Luck. My son is 16 months and is using cloth, we aren't nearly ready for potty training but I plan on sticking w/ cloth thru it.
    cuteasabutton78

Answer by cuteasabutton78 at 1:37 PM on May. 21, 2009