Acne, any good ideas, Accutane made him depressed

We tried everything available. Prescription and non. We thought the Accutane woould be the answer but he is kinda depressed, as that is one of the side effects. Any good ideas ladies, we really need your help.

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 12:54 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Accutane can cause suicide. Please take him of of it.

Have you tried the new "Skin ID" By Neutragena? It is supposed to be great because it has individualized formulas based on skin type, type of acne, stress level, and such. You might want to give it a try. 

http://www.skinid.com/econsumer/clearskin/about.view?sid_body=/clearskin/pages/about-why.html

My brother had VERY bad acne as a teen. His just cleared up on it's own when he was about 17. You sons could do that too. He should not be on accutane, especially if he is getting depressed on it.

Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:27 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I took Accutane too. I heard that it caused depression, I never had that problem though. And Accutane was the ONLY thing that worked for me.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:50 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I have several customers who use the new Avon Clearskin Professionals line and love it. I use it too and it really does work better than some of the prescriptions I've tried. Just make sure you use all three steps. It works much better that way. www.youravon.com/dhullum use code fsany for free shipping if you decide to try it :)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 3:26 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I would try ProActive or the SkinID line of products from Neutrogena
    sassygoddess

Answer by sassygoddess at 4:19 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I was going to ask if you had tried ProActive as well.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:15 PM on May. 20, 2009

• just make sure you dont use those alcohol pad things...they burn like hell...then dry your face out..its not fun!!
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 11:47 PM on May. 20, 2009

• btw accuatane doesnt cause suicide...it can cause depression which in turn can cause suicide
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 11:48 PM on May. 20, 2009

• OMG I just researched Accutane! How the hell was this stuff passed by the FDA???
    http://www.drugs.com/accutane.html Why did you put your kid on this?
    Do not donate blood while taking Accutane and for at least 30 days after you stop taking it.
    Accutane can cause severe, life-threatening birth defects if the mother takes the medication during pregnancy. Even one dose of Accutane can cause major birth defects of the baby's ears, eyes, face, skull, heart, and brain. Never use Accutane if you are pregnant.
    Accutane side effects
    depressed mood, trouble concentrating, sleep problems, crying spells, aggression or agitation, changes in behavior, hallucinations, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
    This stuff is just poison!
    felicia0923

Answer by felicia0923 at 12:41 AM on May. 21, 2009

• I thought that Accutane has been banned?
    Anyway, here is how we have managed to control my teen's acne: your son should wash his face twice a day, with a very mild soap, like an unscented baby soap, twice a day, with a soft washcloth. Follow with a light, oil free moisturizer. Once a day, before he washes his face, he should put on a honey mask (just plain honey) for 10-15 minutes; rinse with warm water. Every three days, add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate.
    After two weeks, he should start to notice a difference.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:43 AM on May. 21, 2009

• tazorac works great. exspensive though. you can get it pretty cheap through canadian drug stores though. its a miracle
    KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 3:13 PM on May. 21, 2009