My DD is running 103.8 fever, what is the dangerous level for a fever??

I gave her motrin 2 hours ago, it was at 104.2 now it is down only to 103.8...she has a doctors appointment in a couple of hours, I just wanted to find out if there is anything else I should be doing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• :( poor kid- I had a situation similar to Buffies today actually- DD had a temp of 103.6 (for the second day in a row), called her Doc yesterday, nurse said she probably just had a cold and that they were very busy and she wouldnt be able to be seen- wouldnt schedule an appt- brought her to ER today and she has hand, foot, and mouth! good luck!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 11:05 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I would give her a luke warm bath........followed up 4 hours after the motrin with tylenol.

This should help bring her fever down......but DO take her to her appointment regardless.

My friend whom has 4 kids old pediatrician with her first whom is 20 said to try that before bringin in her DD..............its worked on all 4 of her kids and my one til we saw the doctor.

IF it does not work.....then use your judgement and go to the ER......glad you are able to get her in the office today!

Mystik-Skye

Answer by Mystik-Skye at 1:03 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Just to add.............DONT get her hair wet!

Just give her a luke warm bath........and then try the tylenol since you already gave her motrin.

Hope this helps!
    Mystik-Skye

Answer by Mystik-Skye at 1:05 PM on May. 20, 2009

• My son had a temp of 105 the other night (he's 2). It was late so I took him to the er. I gave him tylenol before we left. At the er they just ended up sending us home with instructions to give him tylenol every 4 hours. Took him to his pediatrician the following day and was told he had bronchitis.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 1:07 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Yes, it is. She can have tylenol and motrin together. Follow the dosage directions. Keep her as comfortable as you can. My daughter came home from school with a fever. I called to get her an appointment, and the nurse was a bitch. I told her that my kids do not have fevers like this unless there is an infxn. She said protocal blah blah blah. I almost told her to take her protocal and shove it. I insisted she needed to be seen. She found an appointment at 3, she told me the time and doc name, said bye and hung up on me.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 1:09 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Switch back and forth from motrin to tylenol every two hours, that normally will break my sons fevers. I actually had a discussion with our ped the last time DS had a fever about what was dangerous as far as temperatures. He said they dont worry so much about how HIGH the temp is, but more about how LONG they have had a temp. Basically he said when they have fevers, it's most important to get it down as quickly as possible.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 1:10 PM on May. 20, 2009

• I'm hoping that it is nothing serious!! Because we are supposed to take a 10 hour trip on friday to go visit my grandma. :(
    Anonymous

• Children can have fevers over 105 at this age and it's just fine.... something to keep an eye on, but not panic about.
    You can give both Tylenol and Motrin for fever. Motrin works better... so giving that first was a good idea. I would have followed it with Tylenol if it didn't come down. You can give Motrin every 6 and Tylenol every 4 hours
    Always make sure you know the correct dose for your child's weight... my guess if you may have given too small of a dose or maybe her fever was actually going higher and it took longer for it to start going down.
    A luke warm bath or clothes can bring it down too. You just don't want to cause your child to shiver which will make the temp go even higher.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:44 PM on May. 20, 2009

• well back in the 104 was thought to be the danger zone but I have called in about 104 fevers and was told to medicate them and not worry.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:21 AM on May. 21, 2009

• just remember fever means they are fighting off something. Other sympthoms are a big thing. Don't let them tell you to medicate to long. I kept calling doctor office when my son was 1.5 y.o. They said oh he fine motrin working so just do that. Finally I told her look its been 4 days since fever started 2 days since he came in and he still has a fever she said well if you want to take him to the ER you can do that its your call. So I took him he had a severe case of pnemonia and had to be admitted. After a few days in hospital he was fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on May. 21, 2009