18 yr old DD home schooled

My DD was held back in the 4th grade. She spent 9-10grade at a local catholic school. We could not afford to send her this year. She refused to go to the public school and I don't blame her. We live in a bad system and not so hot neighborhood. She chose an online school for this year. Now she is missing school, refuses to go to the pulbic school for 12th grade, I can't afford to send her to catholic school. She is depressed and crying all the time, any advice? I don't want her at home again next year, she needs to socialize etc. What do I do for her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on May. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Hi... I was homeschooled for 9th through 12th grades, so perhaps I can help? Is there a homeschool group/co-op or something of the like anywhere in your area? Even a small group can be helpful for providing some of that social contact and a large, active group can be wonderful and provide more social and academic opportunities than public school. Also, socializing can be found in many places, and when homeschooling you get more opportunities to explore and experience those. It depends on your area, of course - more rural areas can make it more difficult - but there is almost always something. If you have a college nearby, she may be able to attend a few classes (for instance, when I was a junior I shadowed a teacher of ESL because I was very interested in that - I spoke with her, attended her classes, met her students). Volunteering was also a big part of my "high school" experience and it was wonderful.

Feel free to PM me!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:20 PM on May. 20, 2009

• Can you find activities for her or let her get a part time job this would get her out of teh house and meet some people!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:46 PM on May. 20, 2009

• WHY does she not want to go to a public school? I can understand that she wants to socialize. I would think it would be lonely. And if I were her,I'd feel strange and out of it, different than the others. Nobody likes that feeling. It would be good for her to have school friends. Maybe you could take her on a school tour with a guidance counselor? They could tell her all about the school and make her feel comfortable. It would be a shame for her to not finish high school and miss her senior year. Good luck.
    Anonymous