Opening bank accounts after filing Chapter 7?

My bank representative at Wells Fargo is telling me that I cannot open any new accounts at ANY bank until 10 years after my bankruptcy. :( I really wanted to get rolling and start saving so we can continue to stay on the right track regarding our finances.
Is she right? Is there any bank that works with people after bankruptcy??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on May. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• That's not the case. I advise you to go to a different bank. I kept my same bank even with bankruptcy and it wasn't a problem. I even opened several more in the years following. If you can't then start off with a savings account. You can do it that way.
    Anonymous

• Never listen to Wells Fargo!!! You can indeed open accounts as soon as the BK is discharged and the info has made it to the check systems...(providing you had any outstanding checks)
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:02 PM on May. 20, 2009